1. ITV Report

Dozens fall ill after dining at 'world's top restaurant'

Noma restaurant in Copenhagen, Denmark. Photo: Reuters

A restaurant voted the best in the world apologised after more than 60 guests fell ill with viral gastroenteritis after dining at the two-star Michelin eatery.

The 63 infected diners ate at Noma in Copenhagen, which was crowed the world's best restaurant in 2010, 2011 and 2012 by Restaurant magazine, between February 12 and 16, according to health authorities.

The Danish Veterinary and Food Administration investigated the popular, waterfront restaurant after diners were struck down with a norovirus that causes vomiting and diarrhoea.

We are in the business of making people happy and taking care of our guests, so this is the worst thing that could happen to us.

Since the outbreak we have worked closely with the health authorities to get to the bottom of it and find the source of infection.

We are extremely sorry about all of this and I have personally been in dialogue with all the guests who were affected and discussed compensation for them.

– Noma managing director Peter Kreiner

It is thought the outbreak could have been caused by a member of kitchen staff who was unwell and health inspectors criticised the restaurant for not taking proper action.

In a report Noma recognised that internal procedures had not been good enough and said an e-mail from the employee reporting his sickness had not been seen.

Noma, which receives thousands of reservation requests every day, opened in 2004 and head chef Rene Redzepi has become widely recognised for his use of foraging and redefining Nordic cuisine.

In 2012 Noma set up a pop-up restaurant at the famous Claridge's hotel in London's Mayfair offering diners a tasting experience for £195 a head.