The UK record industry has reached a new milestone with the one billionth download of a digital single.
Adele’s “Someone Like You” is the most downloaded track ever in the UK closely followed by Maroon 5 featuring Christina Aguilera with the hit single “Move Like Jagger”.
The billionth single was downloaded late last night; nine years after legal downloads were launched in the UK, according to the official charts company.
With the physical single in terminal decline, the volume of digital sales has exploded in recent years, with sales rocketing from around 500,000 sales a week in 2004 to more than three million a week.
Top 10 downloaded tracks:
- 1. Someone Like You - Adele
- 2. Moves Like Jagger - Maroon 5 feat. Christina Aguilera
- 3. Somebody That I Used To Know - Gotye feat. Kimbra
- 4. I Gotta Feeling - Black Eyed Peas
- 5. We Found Love - Rihanna feat. Calvin Harris
- 6. Sex On Fire - Kings of Leon
- 7. Call Me Maybe - Carly Rae Jepsen
- 8. Party Rock Anthem - LMFAO/Lauren Bennett/Goonrock
- 9. Just The Way You Are (Amazing) - Bruno Mars
- 10. Price Tag - Jessie J
Source: Official Charts Company.
Official Charts Company managing director Martin Talbot said: "The explosion in download sales over the past nine years means we are genuinely now living in the digital music age - with Adele as our queen.
"Over the nine years of legitimate digital music, more than 16 new tracks have sold one million copies, which emphasises just how popular digital music is in the modern age.
"Last year over 188.6 million tracks were sold and that record could be broken this year as sales continue to surge.