Manchester United manager Alex Ferguson will retire at the end of the season after 27 years in charge at Old Trafford.
The club have not indicated whether a successor has been appointed but bookmakers have three clear favourites for the job.
- Current club: Real Madrid
- Odds: 6/5
- Trophies won: Champions League, UEFA Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, La Liga, Serie A
- Age: 50
Mourinho is expected to leave Madrid at the end of the season and has talked about a desire to return to England. United may have reservations about his record of short stays at previous clubs.
The Times reported that Mourinho's talks with Chelsea had stalled due to the London club's owner being unwilling to pay his buyout clause at Madrid.
- Current club: Everton
- Odds: 5/4
- Trophies won: Division 2
- Age: 50
Guiding Everton to consistently high league finishes on a minuscule budget, Moyes has long been touted as a potential Ferguson successor but fans will be concerned about his lack of trophies.
- Current club: Borussia Dortmund
- Odds: 16/1
- Trophies won: Bundesliga, German Supercup, Champions League finalist
- Age: 45
Klopp has won praise for his attractive Dortmund side and his charismatic interview style but has never played or managed outside Germany.
- Ole Solskjaer, former United striker and reserve team manager, current Molde boss
- Ryan Giggs, United veteran
- Laurent Blanc, former United defender and manager of Bordeaux and France