1. ITV Report

Previous security scares involving the Royal Family

A security review has been launched after a break-in at Buckingham Palace in which a man scaled a fence to get inside the Queen's London residence.

Scotland Yard has confirmed two men were arrested "following an incident in the vicinity of Buckingham Palace".

The break-in at Buckingham Palace is the latest in a series of security scares involving the Royal Family.

  • In March, a car carrying the Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall was mobbed by demonstrators who had split from a protest against higher university tuition fees.
  • In 2003, comedian Aaron Barschak managed to get into Prince William's 21st birthday party at Windsor Castle. The self-styled "comedy-terrorist" set off a series of alarms and was caught on CCTV as he joined 300 guests at the bash being he was removed
Baron Barschak pictured in front of Windsor Castle in fancy dress Credit: Press Association
  • In 1994, student David Kang charged at Prince Charles while firing a starting pistol during a ceremony in Sydney, Australia. He was wrestled to the ground by New South Wales premier John Fahey and another man, while Charles was praised for his calm reaction.
  • In 1982, Michael Fagan broke into Buckingham Palace and spent ten minutes talking to the Queen in her bedroom.
  • In 1981, six blank shots were fired from the crowd while the Queen rode during the Trooping the Colour ceremony. The Queen's horse was startled but she managed bring it back under control while police rushed to grab the shooter.
Queen Elizabeth II on her horse "Burmese" leaving Buckingham Palace for the Trooping of the Colour ceremony in 1981 Credit: Press Association
  • In 1974, Princess Anne was the target of an apparent kidnap attempt in The Mall near Buckingham Palace. Four people, including her bodyguard, Jim Beaton, were injured after shots were fired when their car was forced to halt by another vehicle which blocked their route.
  • A police officer chased the driver, Ian Ball, and brought him to the ground before arresting him.
The Royal car in which Princess Anne and Captain Mark Phillips had been travelling in when it was stopped. Credit: Press Association

More on this story