Social networking site Twitter has submitted documents ahead of a planned flotation on the stock market, the company revealed yesterday.
Here are some facts about the micro blogging site which has become a social media phenomenon:
- The first tweet was sent in San Francisco, California, by Twitter creator Jack Dorsey on March 21, 2006.
- 500 million tweets are now sent daily.
- It took three years, two months and one day for the first billion tweets to be sent on the platform. The same number are now sent every 48 hours.
- The hashtag (#) feature, first proposed by a user, first appeared on Twitter in August 2007.
- Twitter supports more than 35 different languages.
- There are more than 200 million monthly active users around the world, and around 10 million users in the UK alone.
- Uk Twitter users are very mobile - 80% of UK users are active on mobile, compared to 60% globally.
- The re-tweet feature was launched in August 2009, more than three years after the platform was founded.
- The most re-tweeted tweet to date was from US President Barack Obama:
- In March 2012, James Cameron sent a tweet from the ocean's deepest point, the Mariana Trench in the western Pacific.
- Pop star Justin Bieber has the most followers with around 44.5 million.
- Singer Adele is the Briton with the most followers, with more than 17.5 million.
- Twitter has 1,500 employees at its headquarters in San Francisco, while a further 2,000 work in offices around the world.