Advertisement

  1. ITV Report

Father reluctant to return to scene of Leicester house fire deaths

Video report by ITV News Midlands correspondent Rupert Evelyn

A father who lost his wife and three children in a fire says he does not want to return to the house where they died.

Neurosurgeon Dr Muhammad Taufiq Al Sattar was working in Ireland when he learnt that his family in Leicester had lost their lives.

Tonight he told ITV News of "the most horrifying moment in my whole life."

"I was on my own in my room as well. There was nobody with me," he said.

His wife Shehnila Taufiq, 47, his daughter Zainab, 19, and two sons Bilal, 17, and 15-year-old Jamil, died in the blaze at their home on Wood Hill in Leicester on Friday September 13.

"This is just a house with a few walls left behind," he said. "It's not a home where you have your family. I don't want to see my house at present."

Dr Taufiq said the last two weeks had been "extremely difficult" for him, but added his faith in Islam had given him "strength".

"It was God's plan to take the life," he said.

His wife and children were studying in Leicester for an Islamic education at the time of their deaths.

Kemo Porter, 18, of Browning Street, Leicester, has been charged with murder in connection with the fire. He is next due to appear at Leicester Crown Court on October 4.

A 19-year-old man was also arrested in connection with the deaths on Thursday night and remains in police custody.

A further seven men, aged 16, 18, 20, 21, 24 and two 19-year-olds, were arrested on Wednesday after warrants were executed at several properties in the Leicester area.

Six of those men remain in police custody while inquiries continue. The 18-year-old has been released on police bail pending further inquiries, Leicestershire Police said.