1. ITV Report

Alleged victim: 'I thought Travis was going to rape me'

Dave Lee Travis denies all charges. Photo: Press Association

A woman has described in court how as a 15-year-old girl she was left feeling "petrified" following an encounter with Dave Lee Travis at a Showaddywaddy concert.

The alleged victim, who cannot be named for legal reasons, said the former Radio 1 DJ became "frisky" with her after she was invited into his caravan at the gig on a farm in the late 1970s.

In a videoed police interview played to the court, the woman said she was talking about music with Travis inside the caravan when he offered to sign her poster.

He then "lunged forward", she said, adding she was then sexually assaulted by him.

"He was so heavy I was trapped in the seat," she said. "I could not get up. I thought he was going to rape me."

Dave Lee Travis leaves Southwark Crown Court this evening. Credit: Press Association

Travis, whose real name is David Patrick Griffin, is charged with 13 counts of indecent assault dating back to between 1976 and 2003, and one count of sexual assault in 2008.

The 68-year-old, from Buckinghamshire, is accused of assaulting 11 women, one of whom was 15 at the time of the alleged crime.

He denies all the charges.

Also giving evidence at the trial today was Travis's former managing director at Classic Gold, Colin Wilshire, who said he was aware of a complaint about the DJ by a female member of staff.

Referring to his former colleague as DLT throughout his testimony, Mr Wilshire said a woman complained that Travis "touched her on the leg... legs".

He said Travis was told to "stay away" from the woman and her office. Mr Wilshire said a complaint against Travis was raised at a board meeting. But no "mark" was left on his HR file, he said.

Mr Wilshire said he did not speak to the witness but explained the complaint to the DJ.

He told the court Travis said he "didn't intend to upset her" and that "wasn't his intention". However, Travis immediately appeared to dismiss orders not to enter the alleged victim's office, the court heard.

Mr Wilshire said: "I closed my door (after speaking with Travis initially), and probably three or five minutes later Simon Cliffe came bursting into my office, extremely antagonised, because DLT had gone into the office, approached (the alleged victim) and she got extremely upset by it."

The witness explained he "hauled" Travis back into his office and the DJ was ordered to go home for the day.

The trial continues.

More on this story