Last week he made headlines for slamming the Government's austerity measures as a "disgrace". Today Archbishop Vincent Nichols will be elevated to the second highest office in the church by Pope Francis. So, who exactly is he?
- He was born in Crosby, Merseyside, in 1945 to teacher parents
- As a youngster he wanted to become a lorry driver
- He is a life-long Liverpool FC fan - and will be ordained in red, his team's colour
- He said in 2007 that his calling to the priesthood stuck during a football match
- In 1992 he became the youngest bishop, at the age of 46
- His graduation to Westminster nine years later is rumoured to have been at the personal request of Pope Benedict XV
- He is a vocal opponent of gay marriage, saying "I think the process is shambolic."
- He is the 11th Archbishop of Westminster to be named cardinal