The gentleman is alive and well - and thriving in modern-day Britain, according to Country Life magazine.
The lifestyle bible, which is trying to find the country's quintessential "true gent", has re-envisioned the gentleman's rule book as part of its quest.
Gone are the days of pulling out chairs and holding doors open for ladies - and don't even think about posting your thoughts on Twitter if you want to be in with a shot.
If you wish to be a gentleman:
- Be at ease in any situation and put others at ease
- Always be on time
- Dress to suit the occasion
- Make love on your elbows
- Occasionally get drunk, but never be disorderly
- Ensure you are mindful of others' financial circumstances
- Wear a pre-tied bow tie
- Drink Malibu
- Buy fuchsia trousers
- Put products in your hair
- Wear Lycra
- Write with a ballpoint pen
- Plant gladioli
- Own a cat
The Gentleman of the Year winner will be announced in the June edition of Country Life.