US pharmaceutical giant Pfizer, maker of Viagra, has made a second attempt to takeover AstraZeneca following a failed attempt back in January.
Here are the key facts and figures of the deal.
- Astra accounts for around 2.3 percent of UK exports.
- AstraZeneca employs around 7,000 people direcly while supporting a further 30,000 jobs in the UK.
- In 2011 the company added £3.8 billion in wealth creation.
- Over £1 billion was invested in Research and Development.
Following reports of the renewed bid AstraZeneca's share price soared by 18 per cent in trading earlier hitting a record high of £47.94.
The deal itself would dwarf anything else in the global pharmaceutical industry despite a recent flurry of M&A activity in the sector.
- The Potential $100bn deal would create the world's largest pharma company.
- If it goes through it would be biggest ever takeover of a UK-listed company.
- It would be the biggest deal in the pharma sector since Pfizer’s $111.8bn takeover of Warner-Lambert in 2000.