Advertisement

  1. ITV Report

'Milie's law' calls for mandatory health and safety training in nurseries

Millie was described as "the perfect baby" by her mother. Photo: Good Morning Britain/ITV

The parents of a nine-month-old baby who died after choking on some food at nursery want to see mandatory health and safety training for staff introduced across the UK.

Joanne and Dan Thompson lost their daughter Millie on October 23 after she ate some Shepherd's Pie at Ramillies Hall School and Nursery in Greater Manchester.

Millie started coughing and crying in a high chair during her mashed lunchtime feed from a supervisor before her lips turned blue.

A nursery supervisor - whose basic first aid certificate had expired - shouted for help and passed Millie to a colleague who had paediatric first aid training and gave the baby back slaps.

Millie's condition fluctuated and then deteriorated as an ambulance arrived 10 minutes after staff dialled 999.

Millie was a "mischievous baby" according to her mum. Credit: Good Morning Britain/ITV

There were no signs of life as she was taken to Stepping Hill Hospital, and she was pronounced dead soon after arrival.

Despite the inquest jury's verdict of death by misadventure, Joanne and Dan say their daughter would still be alive in nursery staff had a better understanding of first aid.

Now Joanne and Dan want to act on the advice of the coroner and are campaigning to have health & safety training made mandatory for all nursery staff.

We want all staff to be trained and following this petition hopefully we'll be filtering it into schools where children be trained as well, because we're big supporters of that.

– Joanne Thompson