What do Prince Philip, the Chinese Communist Party and the tax disc have in common? They were all born in 1921.
On the Duke of Edinburgh's 93rd birthday, we look back at some other notable events from the year of his birth.
- Northern Ireland is created within the UK and the Irish War of Independence officially ends.
- Germany's Weimar Republic makes its first official World War I reparations payment.
- Leicester City's match against Stockport County attracts just 13 spectators - the lowest attendance in Football League history.
- The Communist Party of China is founded, as are the communist parties of Spain, Italy, Portugal and Czechoslovakia.
- UK unemployment rises from 927,000 to 2.2 million in the space of five months.
- Astronaut John Glenn, actor Charles Bronson and comedian Tommy Cooper are born.
- Albert Einstein wins the Nobel Prize for Physics.
- A coal miner's strike prompts the Government to declare a state of emergency in the UK.
- Liberal Party politician Winston Churchill is appointed Colonial Secretary.
- Car tax discs are introduced. They will be phased out by the Government in 2014.