The Killers' hit Human has topped a poll of the weirdest song lyrics ever written.
Listeners were baffled by the chorus of the track, which reached number 3 in the UK singles charts, over the line "Are we human or are we dancer?"
Frontman Brandon Flowers explained his lyric was based on a quote from author Hunter S Thompson, "we're raising a generation of dancers".
He said: "I took it and ran. I guess it bothers people that it's not grammatically correct, but I think I'm allowed to do whatever I want."
Second in the poll for online streaming service Blinkbox Music was the surreal nonsense lyric for I Am The Walrus by The Beatles, from Magical Mystery Tour.
The chorus of "I am the eggman, they are the eggmen, I am the walrus, goo goo g'joob" was the line which left music fans scratching their heads.
The top 10 also included Wham!'s Club Tropicana which says "Drinks are free, fun and sunshine, there's enough for everyone, all that's missing is the sea" - despite later referring to watching "the waves break on the bay".
The explanation for the apparent inconsistency is it is said to have been written about a spot in Ibiza set high in the hills.
Blinkbox Music managing director Mark Bennett said: "It's true that song lyrics are sometimes as crazy as a box of frogs, but then that's showbusiness. It would be a really boring world if everything was logical and made sense."
Almost two-fifths (38 per cent) of the 2,000 adults surveyed said say they don't usually understand the words they hear in pop songs. And almost a third (32 per cent) said songs have become more confusing over the years.
The top 10 are:
- 1. The Killers, Human: "Are we human, or are we dancer?"
- 2. The Beatles, I Am The Walrus: "I am the eggman, they are the eggmen, I am the walrus, goo goo g'joob"
- 3. Michael Jackson, Earth Song: "What about elephants? Have we lost their trust?"
- 4. Lionel Richie, All Night Long: "Tom bo li de se de moi ya, hey jambo jambo"
- 5. Carly Rae Jepson, Call Me Maybe: "Before you came into my life, I missed you so bad"
- 6. Black Eyed Peas, Boom Boom Pow: "Beats so big I'm stepping on leprechauns"
- 7. Duran Duran, The Reflex: "The reflex is an only child, he's waiting in the park"
- 8. Wham!, Club Tropicana: "Club Tropicana, drinks are free, fun and sunshine, there's enough for everyone, all that's missing is the sea"
- 9. Taylor Swift, Love Story: "Cause you were Romeo, I was a scarlet letter, and my daddy said stay away from Juliet."
- 10. Oasis, Champagne Supernova: "Slowly walking down the hall, faster than a cannonball"