My heart sank as I heard of the death being linked to an e-cig and it's charger.
For months I have been following up reports in local papers about "exploding e-cigs". Yet when I make inquiries the truth is usually that it is more about the charger.
Some will doubtless see today's new warnings as premature - because there is still no confirmed cause of the Merseyside tragedy - that won't come until the inquest. But I think the warnings are overdue.
Fire officers, electrical experts and many e-cig users already know the danger of using an unsuitable charger. Now the information must be made as public as possible.
The big risks are using counterfeit chargers - sold cheap. Or mixing components of chargers and e-cigs that should not be mixed.
Martyn Allen, Head of Electrotechnical Division at Electrical Safety First gives his top tips for safely charging your e-cigarette:
The Chief Fire Officers Association (CFOA) advises that you:
- Always use the correct charger and follow the manufacturer’s instructions
- Never charge a battery that has signs of damage, that has been dropped, or has been subjected to impact
- Never plug a charger into a non-approved mains power transformer
- Check that your e-cigarette battery has overcharge or overheat protection
- Remove the battery from charge when complete – don’t over charge
- Never leave a battery on charge unattended
- Don’t use if wet or exposed to water
- Do not over tighten the atomiser or when connecting to charger ? Ensure that you dispose of batteries correctly.