1. ITV Report

Shock as Crufts show dog dies amid poisoning fears

A dog has died after competing at international dog show Crufts, with fears he may have been poisoned.

The three-year-old Irish setter called Jagger, whose show name was Thendara Satisfaction, reportedly collapsed and died after returning to its home in Belgium on Friday.

The owners of Thendara Satisfaction, known as Jagger, believe he was poisoned Credit:

According to, the owners have claimed post mortem results found a number of poisons had been put into cubes of meat and then fed to the animal.

He was one of several dogs showed by owners Dee Milligan-Bott and Alexandra Lauwers at the event, held at the National Exhibition Centre in Birmingham.

All the dogs were all running and playing together and Jagger seemed a bit tired, unable to keep up with the others. Three or four hours later after getting back to Belgium he collapsed and by the time the vet arrived he was dead.

The post-mortem showed that two or three different poisons were used and that it is likely it was administered on Thursday morning; we’re now waiting for exact toxicology reports.

Whoever did this knew what they were doing, trying to get exactly the right type of poison with a slow release.

– Dee Milligan-Bott, co-owner

She also hinted that she believes one of her other prize-winning pooches may have been the target.

Police in Belgium and the RSPCA have now launched an investigation.

The Kennel Club said it was supporting the owners.

We are deeply shocked and saddened to hear of Jagger’s death and our heartfelt sympathies go out to his owners.

Whilst we are unclear of exactly what happened, we understand that a toxicology report is due next week and that this matter has been reported to the police - we will work with them and help however we can.

We are in contact with the owners and will do all we can to support them at this sad time.

– Caroline Kisko, Kennel Club Secretary

BBC presenter Clare Balding has also taken to Twitter to express her horror at the news.