1. ITV Report

Family's lucky escape from fire after hoverboard 'explodes'

The family's living room after the fire. Credit: JustGiving

A family had a lucky escape after a hoverboard "exploded" sparking a fire which gutted their living room.

Sharon Massey was sitting with her 15-year-old daughter Sommer and nine-month-old granddaughter when the tragedy happened on Monday night.

She told Belfast Live the hoverboard, which she bought for her 12-year-old daughter Jordan for Christmas, was on charge at the time.

"It was just charging and had only been on about half an hour when there was this bang and it exploded into big flames," Ms Massey, from Belfast, said.

"It went up in a matter of seconds. It caught onto the curtains and that was it."

A hoverboard like the one the Massey's had. Credit: PA

There have already been warnings about the dangers of hoverboards, with companies like Amazon advising customers not to buy them over the festive period.

The retailer was forced to issue refunds after a spate of explosions and fires, including the case of a mother who was burned on her arms and legs.

Ms Massey, who is waiting for a liver transplant, has now issued a stark warning to parents to stop other families going through the same thing.

"I just want to warn other parents who may have one in the house. I thought it was okay, it had a warranty and everything, but you never know,."

She added the family had been left with nothing but the clothes on their back.

"I'm on the kidney transplant list and on 24-hour call. This is the last thing we need."

The fundraising page set up by locals to help the family. Credit: JustGiving

Kind-hearted locals have since set up a fundraising page on the JustGiving website to try and raise some money for the family.

Ms Massey said: "I cannot believe there are people out there who want to help. It's unbelievable."

So far, the page, set up by activists Unheard Voices, has raised £245 of the £5,000 target.

To help the family by making a donation visit the JustGiving page here