1. ITV Report

Father killed baby daughter and posted footage on Facebook

The two videos gained hundreds of thousands of views as they remained online for around 24 hours. Credit: PA

A 20-year-old father in Thailand filmed himself murdering his 11-month-old daughter in live Facebook videos before killing himself, police have said.

The harrowing footage was viewed by hundreds of thousands before being taken down after requests from Thai police and the country's government.

The gruesome case is the latest violent crime to be broadcast over Facebook Live.

The firm has vowed to review how it monitors and blocks extreme and offensive footage after outcry over a string of extreme videos.

Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg said last week his company has 'a lot of work' to do on monitoring broadcasts. Credit: AP

Officers confirmed they found the bodies of Wuttisan Wongtalay and his baby daughter in an abandoned hotel in a coastal town in Phuket province after receiving reports of the Facebook videos.

People were able to watch the footage online for around 24 hours before they were taken down.

The first video drew 112,000 views, while a second got 258,000.

Police spokesperson Jirasak Siemsak said Wongtalay "felt neglected by his wife because they had been fighting so he took his 11-month-old daughter to the (hotel)" and took her life by hanging.

Wongtalay took his own life by hanging after posting the footage online.

Facebook confirmed it was reviewing how to monitor live broadcasts after Steve Stephens filmed himself murdering a man on camera in Ohio.

"The mother of the child was crying and was very sad," the officer said.

"I am also very sad. It is a personal dispute and they were still very young."

A spokesperson for Facebook said: "This is an appalling incident and our hearts go out to the family of the victim.

"There is absolutely no place for content of this kind on Facebook and it has now been removed."

Last week, Facebook said it was reviewing how it monitored violent footage and other objectionable material after a posting of the fatal shooting of a man in Cleveland, Ohio was visible for two hours before being taken down.

Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg said last week his company has "a lot of work" to do on monitoring broadcasts.