1. ITV Report

Man jailed for life over abuse and murder of partner's two-year-old son

Chevaze Sanchez McGregor inflicted a string of injuries on two-year-old Jeremiah Credit: West Midland Police

A church-goer who murdered his partner's two-year-old son after biting and brutally beating him during months of abuse has been jailed for life with a minimum term of 21 years.

Chevaze Sanchez McGregor inflicted a series of injuries on toddler Jeremiah Regis-Ngaujah before a heavy blow which ruptured his intestines caused the boy's "agonising" death 24 hours later.

McGregor, 27, had pleaded guilty to murdering London-born Jeremiah at an earlier hearing.

Birmingham Crown Court heard that McGregor - who believed pain could teach children right from wrong - repeatedly struck Jeremiah with a rod and a belt at the boy's home in Wednesfield, Wolverhampton.

Jeremiah's mother, Sindyann Regis, was jailed for 40 months after admitting a charge of causing or allowing the death of a child.

An video from July 2016, released by West Midlands Police, showed McGregor tearing his T-shirt and shoving family members after losing his temper.

A statement from Jeremiah's father, Sahr Ngaujah, read to the court by prosecutor Sally Howes QC, described Jeremiah as happy and cheerful with an infectious smile who "loved to sing and dance".

"Although I did not have an active part in his life due to circumstances beyond my control, I still loved him as a father," Mr Ngaujah said in his statement.

"He was my beautiful boy with his whole life ahead of him. I had many hopes and dreams for Jeremiah."

Opening the facts of the case, Ms Howes said McGregor had formed a relationship with Jeremiah's mother Regis after meeting her at a Pentecostal church when she was around seven months pregnant.

The court heard he was present when Jeremiah was born at the Queen's Hospital in Romford in February 2014, and was told how Jeremiah was pronounced dead at Wolverhampton's New Cross Hospital in the early hours of November 21 last year, hours after McGregor carried his lifeless body to an ambulance.

A previous hearing was told Jeremiah had suffered more than 100 separate injuries, including an adult-sized bite mark to his chest which aroused the suspicions of medics.

A bite mark on Jeremiah's chest aroused the suspicions of medics Credit: West Midland Police

In police interviews, the court heard, McGregor, who claimed not to remember hitting Jeremiah around the head, produced a letter in which he stated: "Sindyann does not discipline him so it must be me.

"The job of the parent is to correct. God gave us pain so we know to do the right thing."

During the hearing Regis could be heard sobbing in a room beside the dock after being allowed to leave court as the prosecution detailed Jeremiah's numerous injuries.

Sindyann Regis admitted causing or allowing the death of a child Credit: West Midland Police

Concluding her summary of the events leading up to the death, Miss Howes told the court: "This is a case of a callous, sustained regime of brutality against a defenceless two-year-old in his own home.

"Jeremiah was left broken and battered with life-threatening injuries and as his life ebbed away moment by agonising moment, Chevaze McGregor stood by and watched, knowing full well what he had done."

Regis initially told police she was unaware of any wrongdoing by McGregor towards her son, but later revealed she had seen him holding the toddler off the floor after hearing "loud banging noises" coming from a bedroom.