- Video report by ITV News Correspondent Richard Pallot
Six people have been injured after a vehicle hit French soldiers in Paris in what has been described as a "deliberate act".
French police say a vehicle slammed into soldiers guarding the northern suburb of Levallois-Perret, before driving away.
French officials say a man has been arrested on a highway north of Paris, after police opened fire on the suspect.
Two officials said it is too early to say for certain that the man was the driver who rammed a car into soldiers.
Counter-terrorism prosecutors have opened an investigation, pursuing perpetrators on charges of attempted murder of security forces in connection with a terrorist enterprise.
Three of those who were hit have been described as "more seriously" injured.
They were from the 35th infantry regiment and served in Operation Sentinelle, created to guard prominent French sites after a string of deadly Islamic extremist attacks in 2015, according to the Interior Ministry.
The suburb is home to France's main intelligence agency and a staging point for soldiers assigned to Operation Sentinelle.
The mayor of Levallois-Perret says it was a deliberate act targeting security forces.
Patrick Balkany told BFM television it was an "odious attack" which was "without a doubt deliberate."
This incident follows a number of Islamist-inspired attacks on security forces in France so far this year.
- On 3 February, a man with a machete attacked soldiers guarding the Louvre museum. He was shot four times but survived.
- On 18 March a police officer was shot and wounded by a man who then attacked soldiers at Orly airport. He was shot dead.
- On 20 April a gunman shot and killed a police officer on the Champs-Elysees. The man was shot and killed by police.
- On 1 June a 40-year-old man attacked police officer in front of Notre Dame Cathedral with a hammer, before being shot and wounded.
- On 19 June a 31-year-old rammed a police vehicle on Champs-Elysees avenue. His car exploded killing only himself.
- On 5 August a 19-year-old attacked soldiers at the Eiffel Tower. Nobody was hurt, and he was later deemed unfit for prosecution.