Live updates

Fire breaks out at Gatwick Airport car park

Sorry, this content isn't available on your device.

A fire broke out at a Gatwick Airport car park on Wednesday evening.

The fire started near a drop-off point at the north terminal and caused temporary disruption to the airport's shuttle service.

No one was understood to have been injured in the fire.

A Gatwick Airport spokesman said it had been extinguished but the cause remained unknown.

MSF calls for independent probe into US hospital strike

Dr. Joanne Liu spoke with President Obama on the phone. Credit: Reuters

The president of Medecins Sans Frontieres has reiterated the organisation's call for an independent investigation into the US air strike which accidentally killed 22 people at a hospital in Afghanistan.

President Barack Obama called Dr. Joanne Liu on Wednesday to apologise for the strike on the charity's hospital in Kunduz

Following the call, Dr Liu said: "We reiterate our ask that the US government consent to an independent investigation led by the International Humanitarian Fact-Finding Commission to establish what happened in Kunduz, how it happened, and why it happened."



Obama apologises for Afghan hospital bombing

President Obama telephoned the head of Médecins sans Frontières and apologized for a deadly air strike on the aid group's hospital in Kunduz Credit: Reuters/Kevin Lamarque

US President Barack Obama has apologised to medical charity Médecins sans Frontières (Doctors Without Borders) following the bombing of a hospital in Afghanistan.

President Obama also called Afghanistan's president to express his condolences after the US air strike killed 22 people.

The White House said the President spoke with MSF International President Dr. Joanne Liu.

"During the call, President Obama expressed regret over the tragic incident and offered his thoughts and prayers on behalf of the American people to the victims, their families, and loved ones," a White House spokesman said.

"The President assured Dr. Liu of his expectation that the Department of Defense investigation currently underway would provide a transparent, thorough, and objective accounting of the facts and circumstances of the incident and pledged full cooperation with the joint investigations being conducted with NATO and the Afghan Government."

Prince of Wales made no intervention in Peter Ball case

The Prince of Wales made no intervention in the case against former bishop Peter Ball, Clarence House said after comments made in court today that "ministers and a royal family member" had "supported" Ball.

The Prince of Wales made no intervention in the judicial process on behalf of Peter Ball

– Clarence House
Police told the court that they had received calls of support for Peter Ball from MPs and a Lord Chief Justice when he was accused of sex offences in 1993 Credit: PA

Ball, the former Bishop of Lewes and Gloucester, was jailed for 32 months today after being found guilty of a string of historic sexual offences against young aspiring priests.

The crimes were committed over the space of 15 years and date back to the time period covering 1977 to 1992.

Prince Charles' Highgrove home is located in Ball's former Gloucester diocese.

Load more updates Back to top

From our journalists