News

Live updates

Miliband: Tories pose 'danger' to business with EU plans

Ed Miliband has warned that Tory plans to hold a referendum on Britain's membership with the European Union pose a "clear and present danger" to jobs and prosperity.

Ed Miliband will outline his fears for business if an EU referendum is held in 2017. Credit: PA Wire

The Labour leader will use the first day of the official campaign period to warn that David Cameron's plans for a referendum in 2017 will lead to "two years of uncertainty".

In a speech at Bloomberg in London today, Mr Miliband will say businesses will face years of "chaos" and will be left unable to plan for the future if the the Tories win power on May 7 and the referendum goes ahead.

Miliband will say that his party will not "condemn this country to years of uncertainty, years of insecurity, by threatening our European future".

Advertisement

IS expanded since start of air strikes, Assad claims

Islamic State has expanded since the start of US-led air strikes last September, Syrian President Bashar al-Assad has said.

Syrian President Bashar al-Assad. Credit: Reuters

Asked how effective the strikes had been in fighting the terror group, Assad told CBS: "Sometimes you could have local benefit but in general if you want to talk in terms of ISIS, actually ISIS has expanded since the beginning of the strikes."

Assad claimed that there were some estimates that IS was attracting 1,000 recruits a month in Syria.

He also warned the group were expanding into new territory in Iraq and Libya.

The Syrian president - who has been involved in a brutal civil war with rebels since 2011 - said he would leave power when he no longer retained public support, or felt he could not represent "the Syrian interests, and values."

Two bodies found after New York gas explosion

Two bodies have been found following a gas explosion which destroyed New York City apartment buildings last week, officials say.

A car sits amongst the rubble after the deadly explosion in New York. Credit: Reuters

The bodies were discovered close to one of the buildings which had been reduced to rubble by the blast on Thursday, the city's fire commissioner Daniel Nigro said.

The remains are believed to belong to two missing men who were eating in a sushi restaurant when the explosion occurred.

Three buildings collapsed and 11 buildings were evacuated after the blast, leaving residents of around 144 apartments homeless.

Advertisement

Load more updates Back to top

From our journalists