News

Live updates

Watch: Referee halts Spurs match after pitch invasions

Spurs and Partizan Belgrade players were forced off the field by referee Yevgen Aranovsky after three first-half pitch invasions at White Hart Lane.

Clive Tyldesley commentated on the surprise withdrawal during ITV4's live coverage of the Europa League game:

Pitch invaders escorted off the field in halted Spurs game

The Europa League game between Spurs and Partizan Belgrade was invaded on three separate occasions before the referee called a temporary halt to the match.

Ukrainian referee Yevgen Aranovsky called the players off the field after the three solitary invasions. Credit: Nick Potts/PA Wire
White Hart Lane security had been forced onto the field to halt the invaders who were mocking the crowd as well as taunting the players. Credit: Nick Potts/PA Wire
The game was halted for several minutes on the eve of half-time, before the referee resumed the rest of the half's play. Credit: Nick Potts/PA Wire

Advertisement

Spurs players face-off with selfie-taking pitch invaders

A pair of pitch invaders came face-to-face with players during Tottenham's Europa League game against Partizan Belgrade.

One man attempted to take a selfie with an annoyed-looking Kyle Naughton, while another had his shirt pulled by fellow Spurs star Roberto Soldado.

A pitch invader attempts to take a selfie with Tottenham Hotspur's Kyle Naughton
Tottenham Hotspur's Roberto Soldado attempts to apprehend a pitch invader during the first half Credit: PA
Tottenham Hotspur's Roberto Soldado succeeds in pulling off the man's top Credit: PA
A third pitch invader is apprehended by officials Credit: PA

The game at White Hart Lane has now resumed.

Spurs' Europa League match halted by pitch invaders

Tottenham's Europa League game against Partizan Belgrade has been temporarily halted by the referee after three fans invaded the pitch at White Hart Lane to attempt to take selfies with the players.

Spurs striker Roberto Soldado attempted to grab one of the pitch invaders. Credit: Nick Potts/PA Wire

Man jailed for 16 years for raping elderly woman

A man has been sentenced to 16 years in jail today after being found guilty of raping an 81-year-old woman in her home in Suffolk.

Adrian Udrea has been sentenced to 16 years’ imprisonment Credit: Suffolk Police

Adrian Udrea, 39, broke into the woman's flat in the Walton area at around 2am on Sunday 28 September.

He sexually assaulted her and stole jewellery that the woman was wearing and from her home.

Udrea, from Blyford Way, Felixstowe, was sentenced at Ipswich Crown Court after pleading guilty to two counts of rape and burglary last month.

Police today praised the elderly woman's bravery in helping identify Udrea, but said that she may never fully recover from the ordeal.

The sentencing today reflects the severity of the crime committed by Udrea.

For an elderly lady to be subjected to such a horrific, degrading and vile act in her own home is beyond all comprehension.

– Detective Chief Inspector Andy Smith, from the Joint Norfolk and Suffolk Major Investigation Team

The victim’s family said that they are pleased with the sentence and "just hope that we can come now come to terms with what has happened and have some kind of peace in the future."

Pele moved to quieter special care unit away from fans

Football legend Pele has been moved to a quieter special care unit to receive treatment away from fans after being admitted to a Brazilian hospital with a urinary tract infection.

The Albert Einstein Hospital in Sao Paulo said the 74-year-old had suffered "clinical instability" but provided no more details of his condition.

A spokeswoman for Albert Einstein Hospital confirmed earlier reports that Pele was in intensive care were inaccurate. Credit: RTV
Pele was discharged from the same hospital on November 13 after undergoing surgery to remove kidney stones. Credit: RTV

Advertisement

Police thank public for help finding double killing suspect

Detectives investigating a double killing have tonight thanked the media and members of the public who helped track down suspect Viktoras Bruzas.

Bruzas, aged 38, was arrested shortly after 6pm after a major manhunt was launched by Surrey Police.

This is a tragic incident which has shaken the close community in Fetcham. I hope the arrest this evening goes some way to reassure the public that we have been relentless in our efforts during this fast-moving and on-going investigation.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who assisted with the search of Viktoras Bruzas including members of the public and the media.

– Detective Chief Inspector Mark Preston

Police: Suspect in double stabbing arrested

A Lithuanian builder wanted on suspicion of stabbing two people to death in their home has been arrested on suspicion of murder, Surrey Police have said.

Viktoras Bruzas, aged 38, was stopped shortly before 6pm as he was driving in Oxshott, Surrey.

A major manhunt was launched after the bodies of Patrick and Gillian Kettyle, who were in their 50s, were found at their home in Fetcham, Surrey, in the early hours of this morning by a member of their family.

Load more updates Back to top

From our journalists