News

Live updates

Tunisia holds eight in connection with Sousse attack

Tunisian authorities are understood to have detained eight people in connection with the attack on a resort in Sousse that left 38 people dead.

A total of 12 people were arrested in the immediate aftermath of the attack. Of those seven men and one woman have remained in detention, amid fears of the existence of a terrorist cell in Tunis, the Tunisian capital.

The eight people detained all come from Tunis's slum neighbourhoods.

It is believed the authorities tracked the individuals down from a mobile phone used by Seifeddine Rezgui, the gunman in the attack, which he had thrown into the sea.

Advertisement

Advertisement

IS 'amir of suicide bombers' killed in coalition air strike

A senior leader of the so-called Islamic State group responsible for coordinating suicide bomb attacks has been killed in a coalition air strike, the US has said.

According to the country's Department of Defence, Tariq bin Tahar al-'Awni al-Harzi was killed in Shaddadi, Syria, on June 16.

Tariq bin Tahar al-'Awni al-Harzi Credit: US State Department

As of the end of 2013, al-Harzi had become known as Islamic State's "amir of suicide bombers", and a $3 million (£1.9m) reward was offered for information which brought him to justice.

Spokesman Captain Jeff Davis revealed 33-year-old al-Harzi had been a key player in moving people and equipment into Syria and Iraq - including suicide bombs and car-borne explosives.

[al-Harzi's] death will impact ISIL's ability to integrate foreign terrorist fighters into the Syrian and Iraqi fight as well as to move people and equipment across the border between Syria and Iraq.

– Captain Jeff Davis, US Department of Defence

His brother, Ali Awni al-Harzi, was also killed in Mosul, Iraq, the day before. He was believed to have been involved in an attack of a US diplomatic compound in Benghazi, Libya, in 2012.

Read: US air strike 'kills militant linked to 2012 Benghazi attack'

Almost 100 Muslims killed in Boko Haram mosque attacks

Dozens of Muslim worshippers were shot and killed by Boko Haram militants as they prayed at mosques in Nigeria.

The 97 victims - most of them men - were praying ahead of breaking their fast during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan when fighters from the Islamist militant group struck at a number of mosques in the town of Kukawa.

A senior government official from the area and a fighter confirmed the deaths, and said some militants also broke into people's homes, killing women and children.

Boko Haram often targets mosques where it believes the Islam being preached is too moderate.

Load more updates Back to top

From our journalists