Live news stream
More than a third of children's salt consumption is from breads and cereals, researchers have found.
Analysis of young people's diets found that they eat an "unhealthy amount of salt on a daily basis". 36% of this salt comes from cereal and bread-based products, according to the new research.
The study, published in the American Heart Association journal Hypertension, found that many children are exceeding the recommended intake of salt on a daily basis.
Malaysia Airlines have confirmed via social media that the search area for missing flight MH370 has been extended beyond the flight path.
"The search and rescue teams have expanded the scope beyond the flight path. The focus now is on the West Peninsular of Malaysia at the Straits of Malacca.
The authorities are looking at a possibility of an attempt made by MH370 to turn back to Subang. All angles are being looked at. We are not ruling out any possibilities."
Local authorities are "tackling the biggest cuts in living memory" and urged the Government to give them the full amount of funding needed to provide adequate council tax support for vulnerable residents.
Chair of the Local Government Association's Finance Panel, Sharon Taylor hit out at Government cuts after the Public Accounts Committee published a scathing report into measures taken by local authorities in the wake of cuts.
– Sharon Taylor
The shortfall between the money councils receive to fund council tax support and the money we would need to protect those on low incomes is getting bigger and is likely to reach £1 billion by 2016.
At the same time, councils are tackling the biggest cuts in living memory and cannot afford to make up the difference.
The Public Accounts Committee's call for Government to review the scheme echoes concerns raised by councils.
Government should consider giving local authorities the full amount of funding needed to provide council tax support.
The largest rescue flotilla in Chinese naval history - four warships and five civilian and commercial vessels- is to join the search operation to locate the missing Malaysia Airlines flight, the South China Morning Post is reporting.
Labour's attempts to block clause 119 of the care bill, which would give ministers greater power to close down hospitals, is "irresponsible scaremongering of the worst kind".
A Conservative Party spokesman said:
– A Conservative Party spokesman
These claims from Andy Burnham are irresponsible scaremongering of the worst kind - changes to the special administrator regime will simply ensure that patients get safe care, and these powers have only ever been used in extremis twice since 2009, when Labour introduced them in the first place.
This Government is determined to turn round failing hospitals, unlike the Opposition, which didn't confront the sort of under performance and failure we tragically saw at Mid Staffs.
College students light candles in China to pray for passengers aboard missing Boeing 777 jet http://t.co/DwJsS6GTKt
Almost three quarters of local authorities (71%) required all working-age claimants to pay at least the minimum contribution towards their council tax bill, according to the Public Accounts Committee.
They also found:
- There were only 133 authorities which provided exemptions only for pensioners and war pensioners, whom the Government insisted must be protected.
- Some 19 local authorities, representing 225,000 working-age claimants in England, increased the "taper rate" at which support is reduced as income rises from 20% under the old system - some 14 of them increasing it to 25% and four to 30%.
- Taper rate increases combined with the loss of housing benefit and increase to income tax and national insurance, would mean claimants taking on additional work they would lose 93p of every £1 they yearend on a 25% rate of 97p on a 30% rate
Libyan government forces have seized a tanker that had loaded crude at a port under the control of rebels who plan to sell oil independently of the Tripoli government.
The North Korea-flagged shipped was being escorted to western Libya, a spokesman for the state-owned National Oil Corp Mohammed El-Harari told Reuters, confirming Libyan media reports.
Another Libyan official, Abdelwahab al-Qaim told Reuters: "The ship has been seized by government forces. There are no damages to the ship."
A rebel spokesman had earlier denied they had lost control of the ship.
Some of the trusts Labour believe would be put "at risk" by clause 119 of the care bill are:
- United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust
- Barts Health NHS Trust
- Croydon Health Services NHS Trust
- East Cheshire NHS Trust
- Plymouth Hospitals NHS Trust
- University Hospital of North Staffordshire NHS Trust
- University Hospitals of Morecambe Bay NHS Foundation Trust
- Heatherwood and Wexham Park Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
- Bolton NHS Foundation Trust
- Milton Keynes Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
- Cambridge University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust