News

Live updates

Dover traffic disruption expected to last until Monday

Police have warned disruption on the roads to Dover could last until Monday causing further misery for holidaymakers.

Police said traffic was queued back 12 miles out of Dover. Credit: ITV News

Many travellers have been stuck in lengthy queues for hours, as they attempt to make their way towards the Channel at the beginning of the great summer getaway.

Kent Police, who alongside the coastguard are delivering more than 11,000 bottles of water to travellers, said the disruption is down to a "vast volume of holiday traffic" coupled with delays caused by heightened security at the border.

Shadow Home Secretary Andy Burnham said the Home Office and the Department of Transport had been "caught ill-prepared".

The Government needs to get on the phone to the French authorities and get a grip on this outrageous situation...This can't carry on and it certainly can't happen again. Ministers must take action to assist the thousands of holiday-makers who, through no fault of their own, are now stranded.

– Shadow Home Secretary Andy Burnham

A Government spokesman said: "People's safety is paramount. We are acutely aware of the effect the disruption is having in the Dover area and we continue to co-operate with the French authorities about a range of operational matters.

Teenage Munich attacker 'obsessed' with mass shootings

Video report by ITV News' Security Editor Rohit Kachroo:

An 18-year-old gunman who killed nine people at a shopping centre in Munich was bullied at school and 'obsessed' with mass shootings.

The German-Iranian attacker, named in reports as Ali Sonboly, went on a solo killing spree at the Olympia shopping centre and a McDonald's restaurant in the Bavarian capital on Friday.

Born and raised in the German city, he murdered nine people and injured 27 others - 10 of whom are in a critical condition, including a 13-year-old boy.

Officials said the attacker was not known to them and had no criminal record. He had been in psychiatric care and was treated for depression. He later killed himself.

Three of the victims are believed to be from Kosovo, three from Turkey and one from Greece - seven of the dead are understood to be teenagers.

Advertisement

Stranded motorists at Dover given water from helicopter

A police helicopter has been sent out to help provide water to motorists stuck in the delays at Dover, as security was stepped up in the wake of the Nice attacks.

Highways England has warned drivers that they may face delays of up to 10 hours, and advised them to use a different route.

In a statement they said: "All traffic is being advised to use the M20/A20 as the A2 is at a standstill into the Port of Dover."

  1. Border

Dumfries woman caught up in Munich mass shooting

20 year old Amy Landsburgh was in Munich during the shooting Credit: ITV Border

A woman from Dumfries has told ITV Border how she and her boyfriend were locked in a sports store for over an hour during the shootings in Munich last night.

Twenty-year-old Amy Landsburgh was on holiday with her boyfriend in the German city when a gunman opened fire killing nine people.

She was shopping just 10 minutes away from where the attack happened.

Advertisement

Turkey detains nephew of US-based Muslim cleric

Fethullah Gellen, whose nephew has been detained in Turkey Credit: Reuters

Turkish authorities have detained a nephew of Fethullah Gulen, a US-based Muslim cleric accused of organising the failed military coup last week, according to state run media.

Gulen, who denies any involvement in the coup, has lived in self-imposed exile in the US since 1999 but has an extensive network of followers in Turkey and elsewhere.

His nephew Muhammed Sait Gulen was detained in Erzurum in northeastern Turkey, and will be taken to Ankara, the capital, for questioning.

Among possible charges that may be brought against him is membership of a terrorist organisation, state news agency Andalou reported.

Number of people dead in Kabul attack rises to 80

The number of people killed in a suicide attack on a peaceful demonstration in Kabul has climbed to 80 according to Afghanistan's interior ministry.

Islamic State have claimed responsibility for the attack in Kabul. Credit: Reuters/Omar Sobhani

The ministry said in a statement that at least 231 people were also wounded.

A suicide bomber struck a protest march in Kabul by members of Afghanistan's ethnic Hazara community.

President Ashraf Ghani, who has condemned the blast, declared Sunday a day of national mourning.

I promise you I will take revenge against the culprits. I have ordered the attorney general to set up a commission to investigate this incident.

– Afghanistan's President Ashraf Ghani
Load more updates Back to top

From our journalists