News

Live updates

  1. Geraint Vincent

Fears fate of Jordanian pilot will end in 'very worst way'

Mu'ath al-Kaseasbeh was captured when his plane went down in Syria last month. Credit: ITV News

The family of a Jordanian pilot being held by IS are hopeful that their son will be returned to them but are more angry than anything else.

I spoke to his father this morning and he said he was very annoyed that the Jordanian government had not given any information regarding what stage negotiations are at, if any at all.

He is also very unhappy that his son was sent to fight against IS in the first place.

That reflects a widespread feeling here in Jordan - that Jordan really shouldn't be a part of this coalition against IS militants.

Meanwhile, there has been no indication from those militants that the pilot's release is even on the table, or if it is a possibility.

So while there's some hope here, there is a very keen awareness that this situation could end in the very worst way possible.

Advertisement

List of Tesco stores set for closure

These are the stores that Tesco have revealed are set to close.

Superstores

  • Bedlington
  • Chatham
  • Connswater and Cregagh Road in Belfast
  • Doncaster
  • Kirkcaldy and Wrexham Dodds Lane

Homeplus shops

  • Bristol Cribbs Causeway
  • Chelmsford
  • Chester
  • Edinburgh
  • Southampton
  • Staines

Tesco Metro

  • Bicester
  • Bootle
  • Caerphilly
  • Crossgates
  • Devizes
  • Grangemouth
  • Mexborough
  • Morecambe
  • Ormskirk
  • Runcorn
  • Smethwick
  • Woodseats

Tesco Express convenience stores

  • Bearwood
  • Belvedere
  • Church Street, Ballymena
  • Heaton Chapel
  • Heybridge, Essex
  • Houghton Regis
  • Liverpool Kensington
  • Longbridge Road, Barking
  • Northfield, Birmingham
  • Raymouth Lane, Worksop
  • Sheffield Manor
  • South Tottenham High Road
  • Tredegar
  • Troon
  • Walsall Wood
  • Wealdstone
  • Whitley Bay
  • York Road, Hartlepool.

2,000 Tesco jobs at risk as store closure list revealed

Tesco Credit: PA Wire

Around 2,000 Tesco workers have been told their jobs are at risk after the supermarket giant announced the location of 43 store closures.

Seven superstores and six Homeplus outlets are among the unprofitable shops identified for closure by new chief executive Dave Lewis.

Mr Lewis said: "The decision to close the stores has been exceptionally difficult to take. I recognise it will affect many hard-working colleagues, our customers and local communities.

"Our priority is to explain what this announcement means for our colleagues and, wherever possible, offer them alternative roles with Tesco."

Litvinenko post mortem 'one of most dangerous'

The post-mortem examination carried out on Alexander Litvinenko was "one of the most dangerous ever undertaken in the western world", a pathologist has told the public inquiry into his death.

Dr Nathaniel Cary, a Home Office forensic pathologist, said Mr Litvinenko's radioactive body was "very hazardous" and was transferred to a secure site for tests.

His cause of death was recorded as acute radiation syndrome, Dr Cary said.

He added "It appears Mr Litvinenko ingested a large quantity of polonium-210 on or around November 1 2006, largely if not wholly by oral ingestion, rather than by inhalation.

"The calculated amount absorbed was in far excess of known survivability limits."

Asked if there was anything in Mr Litvinenko's clinical history inconsistent with acute radiation syndrome, Dr Cary said: "No. In effect, the polonium-210 detected is the smoking gun in the case. It shows you what happened."

United Nations peacekeeper killed in Lebanon

Israel and Lebanon's Hezbollah group have been trading fire around the frontier area. Credit: Reuters

A UN peacekeeper has been killed in Lebanon although it is not clear if it is linked to clashes between the country and Israel.

The death was confirmed by a UN spokesman and the organisation said they were "looking into the circumstances of the tragic incident".

Andrea Tenenti, spokesman for the United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon, said the incident happened close to the Israeli-occupied Shebaa Farms area.

Lebanese Hezbollah group fired a missile at an Isreali military convoy, prompting retaliation.

Advertisement

Glitter 'no recollection' of schoolgirl attempted rape

Gary Glitter has told jurors he had no recollection of allegedly attempting to rape a schoolgirl.

The 70-year-old is accused of trying to rape the girl after climbing into her bed in 1975.

Glitter, who denies the accusation, told the jury at Southwark Crown Court that he had no clue why the girl would want to make up the allegations.

He told the jury: "I can't say why anybody would dislike me. I did not try to rape her or any other child."

When asked whether if he would be interested in raping a young girl, Glitter replied: "Absolutely not, why would I do something like that? I have always got girlfriends around me, plenty of women around me, why would I want to do something like that?"

Mr Price suggested that it was because in 1997 he seemed to have an interest in underage sex, as his conviction for child pornography indicated.

He said: "I ventured into all sorts of porn in which that awful stuff appeared. I pleaded guilty to it, I was guilty of it and I went to jail, and I have been remorseful ever since".

Israel: No soldiers captured in Hezbollah attack

No Israeli soldier has been captured by Hezbollah, according to a source who has spoken to Reuters.

Smoke from the excalating tension on the Lebanon Israeli frontier Credit: RTV

Lieutenant-Colonel Peter Lerner, an Israeli military spokesman, said: "The rumour of abduction has been ruled out."

He made the statement after Lebanon's national news agency reported that a soldier had been seized.

Luis Figo to stand against Sepp Blatter for Fifa presidency

Luis Figo has announced he will stand against Sepp Blatter for the FIFA presidency.

Reports claim Figo has already received the necessary five nominations. Credit: PA

The 42-year-old former Portugal international and world footballer of the year is understood to already have the minimum five nominations.

There should now be at least four candidates in the contest after nominations close on Friday.

As well as Blatter and Figo, Jordan's Prince Ali Bin Al Hussein and Dutch FA president Michael van Praag are also standing.

In an interview with CNN, the former Barcelona, Real Madrid and Inter Milan star said:

I care about football so what I'm seeing regarding the image of FIFA - not only now but in the past years - I don't like it.

If you search FIFA on the internet you see the first word that comes out: scandal, not positive words. It's that we have to change first and try to improve the image of FIFA. Football deserves much better than this.

I've been talking with so many important people in football - players, managers, president of federations - and they all think that something has to be done.

Last year was the World Cup, I was in Brazil and I saw the reaction of all the fans regarding the image of FIFA and I think something has to be changed. Change in leadership, governance, transparency and solidarity, so I think it's the moment for that.

– Former World Player of the Year Luis Figo
Load more updates Back to top

From our journalists