News

Live updates

Advertisement

Clarke: We won World Cup for Hughes

Michael Clarke says Australia won the World Cup for Phil Hughes, the batsman who died last year.

Australian international Hughes was killed when he was struck by a bouncer last year in a Sheffield Shield match, and Clarke wanted this triumph to be in his honour.

Michael Clarke holds the trophy aloft. Credit: PA

"I think for everybody in Australian cricket it's been really tough few months.

"I'm sure I don't just speak for myself, I'm sure everybody standing on this stage tonight will say that we've played this World Cup with 16 players and tonight is certainly dedicated to our little brother and our team-mate Phillip Hughes.

"Hughes used to party as good as any of them so I'll make sure we drink two (beers) at a time tonight, one for Hughesy and one for us."

  1. Granada

Lest We Forget - memorial to Fusilier Lee Rigby revealed

The memorial in Middleton. Credit: ITV News.

The memorial for murdered Middleton soldier Fusilier Lee Rigby has been revealed.

The bronze drum, placed on a plinth marked Lest We Forget, sits in front of a plaque and a memorial wall where Lee is commemorated.

The names of other soldiers will be added to the memorial in the future.

Lee Rigby's family will attend the unveiling ceremony. Credit: ITV News.

Bardo Museum suspect killed in anti-terror operation

Tunisia's Prime Minister Habib Essid announced a man suspected of being involved in the attack on the Bardo Museum has been killed Credit: Reuters

A man suspected to have helped carry out the Bardo Museum attack on foreign tourists in Tunisia has been killed in anti-terrorist operations, the country's prime minister says.

Prime Minister Habib Essid said Khaled Chaieb, also known as Abou Sakhr Lokman, was killed overnight in an operation in the Gafsa region near the Algerian border.

He is believed to be a prominent militant in al Qaida's North African arm, and suspected of leading or helping lead the March 18 attack on the National Bardo Museum.

Twenty-two people, mainly foreigners, and two gunmen were killed in the attack.

Advertisement

35 killed and 88 wounded in air strikes on Yemen

Saudi-led air strikes on Yemen killed 35 people and wounded 88 overnight, an official in the Houthi-controlled health ministry told the official military news service.

Smoke rises from an arms depot at the Jabal Hadeed military compound in Aden in South Yemen. Credit: Reuters

The victims "fell during the Saudi aggression on Yemen in the provinces of Sanaa, Saada and Hodeidah," director of medical emergencies Ali Saree told the outlet, without mentioning if they were civilians or soldiers.

Reeves: Labour plan will control social security costs

Rachel Reeves MP, Labour’s shadow work and pensions secretary. Credit: PA

Labour’s shadow work and pensions secretary has responded to Iain Duncan Smith’s interview on The Andrew Marr Show, saying that her party has a "better plan to control the costs of social security".

The public have a right to know who will be hit by the Tories' plan and they must now come clean on their £12 billion cuts.

Iain Duncan Smith's refusal to admit how children, disabled people, carers and working families will be hit by secret Tory plans six weeks before the election is completely unacceptable.

Labour has a better plan to control the costs of social security, dealing with the root causes of increased spending by tackling low pay and rising housing costs. We will raise the minimum wage to £8 an hour, promote a living wage, ban exploitative zero hours contracts and get at least 200,000 homes built a year.

– Rachel Reeves MP, Labour’s shadow work and pensions secretary

BBC death threat was made by email

Death threats made against the director general of the BBC, Tony Hall, were made by email police have confirmed.

Westminster Police said that they are investigating where the email was sent and that the content of the message suggests it was made outside the UK.

The allegation was reported to the police on Wednesday, the day Tony Hall announced the decision to axe Jeremy Clarkson from Top Gear.

Police enquiries continue and there has been no arrest.

Load more updates Back to top

From our journalists