News

Live updates

War planes attack rebels in Yemen's capital Sanaa

A Saudi-led coalition has launched attacks against Yemen's Shiite Houthi group. Credit: Reuters/Nabeel Quaiti

War planes attacked Yemen's capital Sanaa through the night until dawn, residents of the city told Reuters.

"There were planes strikes all through the night and stopped at dawn," said a resident in Sanaa, adding that explosions were heard in an area west of the capital were a government national guard base was located.

There was no detail on whether the planes belonged to the Saudi-led coalition which has launched attacks against Yemen's Shiite Houthi group in support of President Abdrabbuh Mansour Hadi.

Advertisement

Ban Ki-moon urges Nigerian's to vote 'in large numbers'

Nigerians will decide between incumbent President Goodluck Jonathan and Muhammadu Buhari. Credit: Reuters/Akintunde Akinleye

United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has called on all Nigerians to go to the polls in large numbers as the country decides between incumbent President Goodluck Jonathan and his rival Muhammadu Buhari.

In a statement released by his spokesperson’s office, Mr Ban commended both parties for their commitment to respect the outcome of the elections and called on the candidates and their supporters to resolve disputes that may arise from the electoral process through peaceful means.

“The success of the polls is the responsibility of all Nigerian actors: the electoral authorities, security agencies, political parties, candidates, religious leaders, civil society and voters,” Mr Ban said in the statement.

The Secretary-General’s statement also expressed hope that the elections will be transparent, inclusive, and peaceful.

“The international community has high expectations that Nigeria will provide leadership in setting a high standard for this election,” he added.

The polls in Nigeria's presidential election open at 0700 GMT and close at 1700 GMT.

Advertisement

Germanwings co-pilot 'planned to go down in history'

Andreas Lubitz's former girlfriend said he 'planned to go down in history'. Credit: Reuters

A former girlfriend of the Germanwings co-pilot Andreas Lubitz, who deliberately crashed a plane killing all 150 people on board, has told a German newspaper how he vowed to "do something" to go down in history.

According to German newspaper Bild, the woman who is a stewardess and identified only as Mary W, said Lubitz told her last year: "One day I will do something that will change the whole system, and then all will know my name and remember it."

She added: "I never knew what he meant, but now it makes sense."

The woman also said Lubitz, who took a break in his training due to reported "burnout-syndrome", had suffered nightmares and his behaviour scared her.

She told the paper: "At night, he woke up and screamed: 'We're going down!', because he had nightmares. He knew how to hide from other people what was really going on inside."

Australian captain to retire from ODIs after World Cup

Michael Clarke said he is retiring from one-day internationals. Credit: REUTERS/Steve Christo

Australian captain Michael Clarke has said he will retire from one-day cricket after the World Cup final against New Zealand on Sunday.

The 33-year-old made the surprise announcement at a press conference in Melbourne ahead of the match against the Black Caps.

In a statement on Cricket Australia's official news outlet he said: "Just so everyone is aware, tomorrow will be my last ODI game for Australia.

"I've just spoken to my teammates and spoken to (Cricket Australia CEO) James Sutherland and (National Selection Panel chairman) Rod Marsh and (Bupa Support Team head coach) Darren Lehmann and informed them tomorrow will be my last ODI for Australia.

"It's certainly been an honour and a privilege to represent my country."

Rolls-Royce plans to cut over 200 jobs in Scotland

Rolls-Royce has announced plans to cut more than 200 jobs in Scotland. Credit: Anthony Devlin / PA ARCHIVE IMAGES

Rolls-Royce plants in Scotland will be losing more than 200 jobs under plans announced by the engineering giant for a worldwide cutback.

The company said 187 posts would go at its facility in Inchinnan, Renfrewshire, and another 31 jobs would be lost from its East Kilbride plant.

The cuts follow an announcement by the firm in November last year that 2,600 jobs will be cut worldwide over an 18-month period as part of restructuring of its aerospace division.

A Rolls-Royce spokeswoman said: "We have identified a requirement to reduce the headcount at our Inchinnan manufacturing facilities by approximately 90 during 2015 and 97 during 2016.

"We have also identified a requirement to reduce the headcount at our East Kilbride facility by 31 during 2015.

"It is never an easy decision to propose reductions in our workforce and we will look to meet this requirement by voluntary means wherever possible. We will also explore all mitigation including redeployment to other sites and are offering full support to employees who are impacted by the changes."

Load more updates Back to top

From our journalists