News

Live updates

Advertisement

Bosses 'should allow time for staff to watch Olympics'

Employers should consider introducing flexible working in the coming weeks to allow sports fans to watch the Olympics, experts have said.

Workers should be allowed time to watch the Olympics, Acas said Credit: PA

Conciliation service Acas issued has issued guidance urging bosses to consider allowing staff to start later or finish early and make up time on different days. They should also be allowed to swap shifts, the advice adds.

Acas chairman Sir Brendan Barber said flexible working agreements could help managers get the best from their teams.

Rio 2016 will be an exciting event for many sports fans but staff should avoid getting disqualified for unreasonable demands or behaviour in the workplace during this period.

Many businesses need to maintain a certain staffing level in order to survive and sprint to that finish line.

Employers should have a set of simple workplace agreements in place before the starting gun goes off for the Olympic Games.

These agreements can help ensure businesses remain productive whilst keeping staff happy too, which are key ingredients for a gold medal winning team line up.

– Sir Brendan Barber, Acas

Turkey captures aide to cleric blamed for military coup bid

A key aide to the US-based Muslim cleric blamed by Turkey for a failed military coup has been captured by Turkish forces, a presidency official has said.

Fethullah Gulen has been blamed for the coup attempt Credit: Reuters

President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has blamed Fethullah Gulen for the unsuccessful bid to overthrow the government, which Gulen has denied.

Halis Hanci, described as Gulen's "right-hand man", reportedly entered Turkey two days before the coup attempt began, the official said.

It comes just hours after his nephew Muhammed Sait Gulen was detained in Erzurum in northeastern Turkey.

School coach crash: Police suggest driver 'fell asleep'

Video report by ITV News' Stacy Foster:

Police in France have suggested that the driver of a coach that crashed near the Swiss border while carrying British school children, fell asleep at the wheel.

Two children were seriously injured when the bus, carrying teenagers from Cheltenham Bournside School, came off the road on the A39 motorway at Lons-le-Saunier.

Ten students and one member of staff received ‘minor’ injuries. There were 48 people on board the coach which set off from the UK on Friday.

Advertisement

Dover traffic disruption expected to last until Monday

Police have warned disruption on the roads to Dover could last until Monday causing further misery for holidaymakers.

Police said traffic was queued back 12 miles out of Dover. Credit: ITV News

Many travellers have been stuck in lengthy queues for hours, as they attempt to make their way towards the Channel at the beginning of the great summer getaway.

Kent Police, who alongside the coastguard are delivering more than 11,000 bottles of water to travellers, said the disruption is down to a "vast volume of holiday traffic" coupled with delays caused by heightened security at the border.

Shadow Home Secretary Andy Burnham said the Home Office and the Department of Transport had been "caught ill-prepared".

The Government needs to get on the phone to the French authorities and get a grip on this outrageous situation...This can't carry on and it certainly can't happen again. Ministers must take action to assist the thousands of holiday-makers who, through no fault of their own, are now stranded.

– Shadow Home Secretary Andy Burnham

A Government spokesman said: "People's safety is paramount. We are acutely aware of the effect the disruption is having in the Dover area and we continue to co-operate with the French authorities about a range of operational matters."

Teenage Munich attacker 'obsessed' with mass shootings

Video report by ITV News' Security Editor Rohit Kachroo:

An 18-year-old gunman who killed nine people at a shopping centre in Munich was bullied at school and 'obsessed' with mass shootings.

The German-Iranian attacker, named in reports as Ali Sonboly, went on a solo killing spree at the Olympia shopping centre and a McDonald's restaurant in the Bavarian capital on Friday.

Born and raised in the German city, he murdered nine people and injured 27 others - 10 of whom are in a critical condition, including a 13-year-old boy.

Officials said the attacker was not known to them and had no criminal record. He had been in psychiatric care and was treated for depression. He later killed himself.

Three of the victims are believed to be from Kosovo, three from Turkey and one from Greece - seven of the dead are understood to be teenagers.

Load more updates Back to top

From our journalists