News

Live updates

19-year-old British man charged with terrorism offences

A 19-year-old British man is due to appear at Westminster Magistrates' Court today after being charged with terrorism offences.

Yahya Rashid, of Willesden, north-west London, was arrested yesterday and taken to a central London police station after arriving at Luton Airport on a flight from the Turkish city Istanbul.

Scotland Yard said he has been charged with offences contrary to section 5 of the Terrorism Act 2006, related to an intention to commit an act of terrorism and conduct with the aim of assisting others to commit an act of terrorism.

Labour 'will scrap fees for employment tribunals'

Labour will abolish fees for taking cases to an employment tribunal if it wins the General Election.

There was a slump in the number of claims after feeds came into effect in 2013.

Charges start at around £160, rising to £250, with a further hearing fee ranging from £230 to £950.

Central London Employment Tribunal in Victory House in central London Credit: Philip Toscano/PA Wire

The manifesto says Labour would "ensure proper access to justice in the workplace by abolishing the Government's employment tribunal fee system, as part of reforms to create a system that is quicker for employers and employees and cheaper for the taxpayer".

The announcement was welcomed by trade unions, which have been campaigning to have the fees scrapped.

At long last we have a major political party prepared to address and give rights to workers to shield them from exploitation in their workplaces.

Voters are faced with a stark choice - a party governing in the interest of corporate bosses with zero-hours contracts and for tax breaks for the wealthy elite or a party seeking to provide rights and protection for working people.

– Paul Kenny, general secretary of the GMB union

Advertisement

  1. Calendar

Couple 'can't believe' second lottery win

A UK couple who have won £1 million in the EuroMillions for the second time "just can't believe it".

David and Kathleen Long from Scunthorpe when they won their first £1 million in 2013

David and Kathleen Long from Scunthorpe, who won their first £1 million in 2013, scooped the big money prize again on Friday night, beating odds of more than 283 billion to one.

But Mr Long said he "just knew it would be my turn again some day" as the couple become the first people to win £1 million twice who have gone public.

The pair, then known as David Long and Kathleen MacKenzie, previously banked £1,000,000 in the EuroMillions Millionaire Raffle draw on Friday July 26 2013.

Mr Long said: "I always knew I'd win, even the first time. I just had a feeling it was going to be me. I tend to play when I know there are lots of prizes on the go.

"Last time I knew I had a good chance because there were 100 prizes of £1 million. Last Friday night I was passing the local shop and saw there were 10 £1 million prizes on EuroMillions and a nice car and thought yeah I'll give that a go.

"Got to be worth a few lines and I got five using my usual numbers.

"On Saturday morning I sat down in front of our telly and started checking the numbers. On one line I'd matched two numbers and one star to get £7.20 and thought that's all right.

"Then I checked the raffle codes - something I've learnt to do automatically since winning last time. After a few moments I very calmly called Kath in and said 'Have a look at this. It's there. Look. Read that line'."

Mr Long said his wife checked the television and went online, adding: "Then she went up right close to our television on the wall, put on her glasses and stared really hard at the raffle numbers. It seemed ages and then she finally said: 'You said you'd do it again and you have!' Everything has been a blur ever since.

"It's definitely taking longer to sink in this time!"

Double lottery winners named as David and Kathleen Long

The couple who beat odds of 283 billion to one by winning £1 million twice in the lottery EuroMillions have been named as David and Kathleen Long.

The Scunthorpe blondes became millionaires in July 2013 before a repeat seven-figure jackpot win this year.

David and Kathleen Long with their two £1 million cheques. Credit: PA/Camelot/Tom Maddick
The couple celebrated scooping their first £1 million in July 2013. Credit: PA/Camelot
  1. Meridian

Suspected illegal immigrants filmed climbing out of tanker

Courtesy of Jordan Minter

Video footage shows a number of suspected illegal immigrants climbing out of a tanker as it travels along a slip road in Kent.

The men were filmed by a member of the public climbing down off the tanker as it comes to a stop before a roundabout in Hythe.

Kent Police said it was called to reports of people getting out of the top of a tanker on the slip road of M20 junction 11.

Officers attended and located around 12 people, who have been handed over to the Home Office's Immigration Enforcement team to deal with.

No arrests have been made.

Advertisement

Cameron: We speak for the millions who want to keep their jobs

David Cameron has defended his party's record on helping workers, saying: "we speak for the millions who want jobs and those jobs to be maintained."

On a letter from more than 100 business leaders in support of the Conservative economic plans he said: "That's a very clear message from business leaders who like me care about jobs and wealth creation and prosperity and livelihoods in our country."

Ukip: Teens 'brainwashed' by pro-EU colouring books

Ukip has said 16 and 17-year-olds should not be allowed to take part in a referendum on Britain's place in the EU because they have been "brainwashed" by pro-EU colouring books.

The party's deputy chairman Suzanne Evans made the claim after condemning the Liberal Democrats' calls for the age on participating in the public vote on the issue to be lowered.

Asked about the nature of the alleged propaganda, she said: "It's everything there from colouring-in books on the Common Agricultural Policy for primary school children right up to research projects at university level.

"The amount of money that the EU is putting into this propaganda and throughout the entire education system is enormous."

Ukip economics spokesman Patrick O'Flynn joined in the condemnation of a "very partial view" in education and added: "It is an emotive term but I wouldn't demur from the description of brainwashing."

  1. Calendar

'No plans' for Zayn Malik solo launch

One Direction fans might have to wait a little longer for Zayn Malik to launch his solo career after a spokesman for his producer Naughty Boy said the track that appeared online was actually recorded for the boyband's last album.

Credit: Press Association

The song, called I Won't Mind, which features the star singing over an acoustic guitar, was put up online by Naughty Boy and led to claims Malik was about to release it as a solo single.

But a spokesman for the producer, who has also worked with acts including Emile Sande, said: "Naughty Boy and Zayn wrote and demoed the song as a contender for One Direction's album last year.

"They aren't furiously writing on his solo material or anything, there aren't plans in place for a big solo launch and this wasn't recorded in the last few days they were together.

"They are very good friends and Zayn is taking time out, including visiting Naughty Boy at his studio and hanging out together."

Load more updates Back to top

From our journalists