News

Live updates

Istanbul nightclub attacker 'caught in Istanbul district'

A manhunt has been under way for the suspected Istanbul attacker. Credit: AP

The suspected gunman who killed 39 people in an Istanbul nightclub on New Year's Day has been caught in the city's Esenyurt district, according to various Turkish media.

Islamic State claimed responsibility for the attack, which it said was revenge for Turkish military involvement in Syria.

Soon after the attack, Turkish authorities identified the main suspect who they said was a member of the Uighur community - a Muslim group who lived in western China.

Advertisement

Sousse inquest shown never-before-seen video of attack

The inquest into the terror attack in Sousse in Tunisia, which claimed 38 lives, has been shown never-before-seen footage of the incident in June 2015.

In the video, gunman Seifeddine Rezgui is seen being dropped off at the popular resort of Port El Kantaoui. He is carrying a parasol which had a gun hidden in it.

Later in the footage, victims on the beach run for their lives while Rezgui walks up and down on the sand firing indiscriminately.

Advertisement

Luther King III: 'Trump says he's for all Americans'

Donald Trump maintains he will be a President "for all Americans," according to the son of Martin Luther King.

Martin Luther King III said the President-elect reiterated to him during a meeting at Trump Tower that he would represent all Americans.

"Certainly he said that: he is going to represent Americans. He said that over and over again," King said.

He added: "I believe that that's his intent. But I think also we have to consistently engage with pressure, public pressure."

But King did disagree with Trump's description of civil rights activist John Lewis as "all talk" and "no action."

"Absolutely I would say that John Lewis has demonstrated that he is action," King said.

"Things get said on both sides in the heat of emotion."

Orlando shooter's wife arrested by FBI

Noor Salman had been arrested in connection with the Orlando nightclub shooting Credit: AP Photo/Chris O'Meara, File

The wife of a gunman who opened fire in a gay nightclub, killing 49 people in Orlando last year, has been arrested by the FBI.

A U.S. law enforcement official confirmed Noor Salman had been arrested in San Francisco on Monday and said she would face charges including "obstruction of justice" after being transferred to Florida where the massacre happened.

Salman's husband Omar Mateen, was the lone gunman during the massacre at the Pulse nightclub on June 12 and was killed in a shootout with SWAT team members after a three-hour standoff that followed the attack.

UK discussed Tunisia travel advice after Bardo attack

A gunman killed 38 people on a beach in Sousse in June 2015. Credit: Leila Khemissi / AP

A Foreign Office official has said the UK's travel advice to Tunisia was discussed the day after the attack at the Bardo National Museum in Tunis in March 2015, but it was left unchanged.

In a statement to the inquest looking into the June terror attack in Sousse, Jane Marriott, a former director of the Foreign Office's Middle East North Africa Directorate, said FCO officials and minister Tobias Ellwood met in London to discuss the travel advice.

Three militants stormed the Bardo museum and killed 22 people just three months before the deadly terror incident on the beach in the popular resort of Port El Kantaoui.

Ms Marriott said it was decided to keep the advice at the same level, and not to advise Britons against any travel to tourist areas of Tunisia, but the phrase "further attacks are possible" was added to the Government's travel advice website.

She added that countries who also lost nationals in the first attack, including France, Japan, Spain and Russia, had also kept their tourist travel advice at the same level as before the attack.

The only country to alter its travel advice was Poland.

Load more updates Back to top

From our journalists