News

Live updates

Advertisement

Apple hits back at claims it mistreated Chinese workers

The Chinese factories assemble iPads and iPhones. Credit: Reuters

Apple has hit back at "deeply offensive" claims made by BBC's Panorama that workers were mistreated in Chinese factories.

Undercover reporters allege staff were denied days off, made to work 18 days straight and some were so tired they fell asleep during their 12 hour shifts.

An email sent out by Apple's senior vice president of operations Jeff Williams said: "Nothing could be further from the truth".

It added: "We know of no other company doing as much as Apple to ensure fair and safe working conditions, to discover and investigate problems, to fix and follow through when issues arise, and to provide transparency into the operations of our suppliers."

The factory said it would carefully investigate the BBC's claims before "all necessary actions" were taken.

FBI: North Korean government committed Sony hacking

The FBI said it has enough information to conclude the North Korean government is responsible for the hacking of Sony Pictures and is "deeply concerned" by the "destructive nature" of the attack.

The agency said there is a "significant overlap" between the systems used in the Sony breach and other cyber attacks linked to North Korea, including an assault on South Korea's banks and media in 2013.

The computers of Sony Pictures were breached by hackers ahead of its release of The Interview, a film about the assassination of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un. Credit: Reuters

The FBI announcement came after a US official, speaking anonymously, said the probe into the hacking had also identified a possible link to China - either through host servers or use of actors.

The Chinese Embassy in Washington said China does not support "cyber illegalities" committed on its soil and called on the US to share its evidence to support the claims.

Cook to be removed as England one-day captain

Alistair Cook has struggled in the shorter game. Credit: PA

Alistair Cook is to relieved of his duties as England one-day captain after a poor run of personal and team form, according to reports in the Daily Telegraph.

The opener is set to be replaced with Eoin Morgan, when a 15-man squad is named on Saturday for an upcoming series in Australia ahead of the World Cup in February.

England selectors made the decision after a meeting at Trent Bridge on Friday.

Essex batsman Cook will continue in his role as Test captain.

The ECB are yet to confirm Cook's departure.

Advertisement

Platini: Fifa credibility at stake over report

Michel Platini is hoping for a successful outcome. Credit: PA

Uefa president Michel Platini says the credibility of Fifa depends on the report in the World Cup bidding process.

Platini, who has been frequently critical of Sepp Blatter, was speaking after Fifa announced they would release Michael Garcia's findings.

"This is a step in right direction. Let us hope that the (corruption) report can now be published as quickly as possible. The credibility of Fifa depends on it," Platini told the media on Friday.

Hackers praise Sony as US 'confirms North Korea source'

Sony's hackers have reportedly told the company they will protect its stolen data after the "very wise" decision to cancel the release of movie The Interview - as a US official claimed an investigation has found North Korea was behind the hacking, with possible help from within China.

Sony Pictures pulled the film about the assassination of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un earlier this week after hackers apparently threatened to launch terrorist attacks on cinemas that showed the film.

Sony faced criticism from leading figures in the film industry for cancelling showings of the controversial new release. Credit: Reuters

A US official, speaking anonymously, said an investigation has found North Korea was behind the hacking and may have either collaborated with Chinese actors or used Chinese servers to mask the origination of the hack.

According to CNN, the hackers' message to Sony read: "It's very wise that you have made a decision to cancel the release of The Interview. We ensure the security of your data unless you make additional trouble."

Ex-Liverpool boss Dalglish describes Hillsborough 'mayhem'

Kenny Dalglish wore a '96' badge to the inquest. Credit: PA

Former Liverpool manager Kenny Dalglish has finished giving evidence at the Hillsborough inquiry.

Dalglish, 63, was questioned for two hours at Warrington Coroners Court about the tragedy that saw 96 Liverpool fans died.

The Scot described the situation at the ground as 'mayhem' during the questioning.

"It was mayhem. Nobody knew what was going on. There were stories coming from every angle," Daglish told the jury.

Load more updates Back to top

From our journalists