News

Live updates

Proctor: 'I have nothing to add to this Kafka-esque fantasy'

Former Tory MP Harvey Proctor has said he is assisting police with its enquiries but continued to deny being part of a "rent boy ring".

Detectives from the Metropolitan Police's Operation Midlands have been searching his home, which is located within the grounds of Belvoir Castle, near Grantham, Leicestershire, as part of an investigation into historic child sex claims.

Earlier in an interview with BBC Radio 4's Today programme,Mr Proctor denied attending sex parties with other MPs in the 1970s and 1980s and said he knew nothing of an alleged VIP paedophile ring in Westminster.

Addressing the media later, Mr Proctor continued to deny the allegations saying: "I have nothing to add to this Kafka-esque fantasy".

Canadian national detained in North Korea

Canada has confirmed that one of its citizens has been detained in North Korea, the man's family have said.

Canadian officials told Reverand Hyeon Soo Lim's family that North Korea had confirmed his detention.

Reverand Lim is a Pastor in the Light Korean Presbyterian Church in Toronto, and it is reported he was on a humanitarian trip to North Korea, where he supports a nursing home, a nursery and an orphanage.

A spokeswoman said the family and the church community are asking fellow Canadians and the international community to continue praying for his release and safe return home.

Advertisement

Bald Eagle shelters eggs as heavy snow expected across eastern US

A Bald Eagle shelters her eggs from the snow in Pennsylvania. Credit: Pennsylvania Game Commission

As the Eastern United States prepares for an exceptionally heavy snowfall, a Pennsylvania Game Commission webcam has caught a Bald Eagle sheltering its eggs from the cold.

Reuters reports that over 1,600 flights were cancelled overnight as up to a foot (30 cm) of snow on parts of the eastern US throughout today.

50 Cent to bet £1m on Mayweather beating Pacquiao

50 Cent is planning to place an extravagant £1m bet on Floyd Mayweather beating Manny Pacquiao in May's pound-for-pound blockbuster.

50 Cent and Mayweather used to be business partners. Credit: PA

The most eagerly anticipated fight in boxing history has finally been scheduled for May 2nd following years of speculation and failed negotiations.

In an interview alongside G Unit members Tony Yayo and Lloyd Banks, the rapper - who used to form part of Mayweather's 'Money Team' - told Power 105.1's 'The Breakfast Club' about the extraordinary seven figure wager, which could return a tidy profit of £500,000.

"I got champ [Mayweather]. Champ gonna smoke him. It's gonna look like look like [the fight] was pumped up for no reason," he said.

When asked whether he would bet on the fight, 50 Cent replied: "Probably like $1.6m [just over £1m]."

Newcastle striker Cisse sorry for spitting at Evans

Papiss Cisse is sorry. Credit: PA

Papiss Cisse has apologised for this part in the spitting incident involving Jonny Evans on Wednesday.

The Newcastle striker said he spat in retaliation to something Evans had done and regrets letting the club down.

I have apologies to make to a lot of people today. Firstly to my teammates and to our supporters, secondly to Jonny Evans, and thirdly to every football fan who saw the incident between myself and Jonny.

I reacted to something I found very unpleasant. Sometimes it is hard not to react, particularly in the heat of the moment. I have always tried hard to be positive a role model, especially for our young fans, and yesterday I let you down.

I hope children out there playing football for their clubs and schools this weekend will know better than to retaliate when they are angry. Perhaps when they see the problem it now causes me and my team they will be able to learn from my mistake, not copy it.

– Papiss Cisse

Advertisement

Man who slashed US envoy: 'Korea should be unified'

South Koreans hold up messages of support to the US Envoy outside the Embassy. Credit: Reuters

The man who slashed the US Ambassador to South Korea on the face and wrist with a ten inch knife called for the two rival Koreas to be unified, police have said.

The man, who South Korean police identified as 55-year-old Kim Ki-jong - screamed during the attack on Mark Lippert: "South and North Korea should be reunified."

The Associated Press reports that one witness, Ahn Yang-ok, the head of the Korean Federation of Teachers' Associations, told Korean TV that Mr Lippert had just been seated for breakfast ahead of the lecture organised by the Korean Council for Reconciliation and Cooperation when a man ran toward the ambassador from a nearby table.

A separate witness also said that as Mr Lippert stood up for a handshake, the suspect wrestled the ambassador to the ground and slashed him with a knife.

Becky Watts: Police given more time to question five suspects

Police have been given more time to question five people arrested on suspicion of assisting an offender in connection with the murder of Becky Watts.

Becky Watts went missing on February 19. Credit: Police handout

The four men and one woman, all in their twenties, were arrested on Monday after detectives discovered body parts at an address in Barton Hill in Bristol.

All five suspects remain in custody.

Roy Keane summoned to court over alleged road rage

Roy Keane has been ordered to appear in court following an alleged road rage incident involving a taxi driver in January.

A court summons has been posted to Keane's address. Credit: PA

The Republic of Ireland assistant manager is said to have entered into an altercation in Altrincham town centre on the morning of January 30th.

A statement from Greater Manchester Police today confirmed:

A summons was posted on March 2, 2015, for Roy Keane, 43, to his home address in Hale, to appear before Trafford magistrates court on March 31, 2015, for a Section 4A Public Order offence.

This is in relation to an incident on Friday, January 30, when police were called to Ashley Road, Altrincham to a report that a man had behaved aggressively towards another man.

– Greater Manchester Police statement

Man United defender Evans denies spitting

Papiss Cisse wasn't happy with Jonny Evans. Credit: PA

Jonny Evans said he did not spit at Newcastle United striker Papiss Cisse during their match on Wednesday.

The Senegalese international complained about the Manchester United defender's actions, but Evans strenuously denies the allegation.

Having woken up this morning I am shocked to have seen the media coverage from last night’s match. I would like to make it clear that I did not spit at Papiss Cisse.

I was totally unaware of any spitting incident and had assumed that the issue at the time was with the challenge and his attempted retaliation to the tackle from the floor. During the game Papiss Cisse and I spoke about the incident and it is clear by my reaction in the television footage that I was totally surprised by any suggestion of spitting.

It is not in my character or in my nature to spit at anybody nor is it something I have ever done or would ever do. It is certainly not something that I did last night.

– Jonny Evans
Load more updates Back to top

From our journalists