News

Live updates

RAF Typhoons 'escort' Russian bomber through UK airspace

A Russian Bear aircraft photographed from an intercepting RAF quick reaction Typhoon as it approached UK airspace. Credit: Sgt Fenwick/RAF/MoD Crown Copy/PA

RAF Typhoons intercepted a Russian Bear bomber as it approached UK airspace yesterday, the second flypast by aircraft from Vladimir Putin's air force in three days, the Ministry of Defence said.

The Soviet-era Tupolev Tu-95 aircraft, flying in international airspace was met by the fighters from RAF Lossiemouth in Scotland and "escorted ... through the UK flight information region", an Mod spokeswoman said.

A Russian Bear aircraft photographed from an intercepting RAF quick reaction Typhoon as it approached UK airspace. Credit: Sgt Fenwick/RAF/MoD Crown Copy/PA

The intervention follows a similar incident on Wednesday when two Bear bombers were tracked over the North Sea as Nato radars picked up a series of Russian formations engaged in "significant military manoeuvres" ranging from the Black Sea to the Atlantic Ocean.

Advertisement

  1. Wales

Police name man found dead in Pembroke Dock

Police have named a man who was found dead in Pembroke Dock as 50-year-old Roger Williams.

He was found at Pater Court, in Pembroke Dock, yesterday afternoon.

Three people, one woman and two men, have arrested on suspicion of murder. They remain in custody and are being interviewed by police.

Police are asking for anyone who may have seen Roger, or been in the area of Pater Court, Bush Street or Law Street Pembroke Dock between 12:30pm and 1:20pm on Friday to speak to the investigation team by calling 101.

A Home Office Port Mortem will be carried out today to help determine the cause of death.

– Dyfed Powys Police
  1. Wales

Three arrested following death of man in Pembroke Dock

The man's body was found on Pater Court, off Bush Street, in Pembroke Dock. Credit: Google

Three people, two men and a woman, have been arrested on suspicion of murder following the death of a man from Pembroke Dock.

The body of the the fifty-year-old was found earlier today on Pater Court.

Dyfed Powys Police are continuing their investigations.

Police name two men killed in firework factory blaze

Detectives investigating a fatal fire at a firework factory in Stafford have released the names of those who are believed to have died in the blaze.

41-year-old Simon Hillier, of Mountside Street, Hednesford, and Stewart Staples, 57, of Bond Way, Hednesford.

Although formal identification isn't likely to be confirmed for some weeks, evidence gathered places both of the men at the scene when the explosion happened.

I is believed Simon was working at the premises while it's thought Stewart was a customer.

A man in his 40s remains critically ill in hospital, while a fourth casualty is recovering at home.

– Supt Ian Coxhead, of Staffordshire Police

Advertisement

85 killed by Islamic State fighters in Iraq

Islamic State militants have killed 85 more members of the Albu Nimr tribe in Iraq, in a killing campaign launched last week in retaliation for resistance against the group's territorial advances, a tribal leader and security official told Reuters.

Sheikh Naeem al-Ga'oud, one of the tribe's leaders, said Islamic State killed 50 displaced members of Albu Nimr on Friday. In a separate incident, a security official said 35 bodies were found in a mass grave.

  1. Granada

Man stabbed in Isle of Man as knife amnesty gets under way

The scene of today's incident.

A man is recovering in hospital after being stabbed in the Isle of Man.

It happened as the island's police force launched a knife and gun amnesty.

Last night's attack happened at an address in Hilltop Rise, Douglas.

From today, the public can hand in guns, knives and other weapons into police stations in the capital, Ramsey, Castletown and Peel.

Police tape close to the scene.

“The victim remains at hospital with serious but not life threatening injuries.

"This outcome is predominantly as a result of the immediate first aid he received prior to the arrival of paramedics.

"We were fortunate to identify a number of witnesses and obtain an early account of what had taken place, but we would still like to speak to anyone who was in the area but might have left prior to our attendance."

– Sergeant Michelle McKillop, Isle of Man Constabulary

Witnesses should call CID on 01624 631212 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Boko Haram girls 'married off and will not be returned'

A man claiming to Boko Haram leader Abubakar Shekau said that more than 200 girls kidnapped by the group six months ago from northeast Nigeria had been "married off" to its fighters, contradicting government claims they would soon be freed, Agence France-Presse reports.

The militants usually give a copy of their videos to the French news agency a day before they get posted online. The latest one is likely to raise doubts about whether talks between a rebel faction and the government in neighbouring Chad will secure the girls' release.

Load more updates Back to top

From our journalists