Live updates

  1. National

Tunisian gunman's route digitally reconstructed in court

Seifeddine Rezgui was dropped off at the beach by a white Peugeot van. Credit: Darko Vojinovic / AP

The Tunisian gunman's route - said to be approximately 2.9km from the point he was dropped off to the point he was killed - was digitally reconstructed and shown to the inquest into the beach massacre.

Pictures of the 38 victims appeared in the locations where they were shot.

Mobile phone footage of part of the attack recorded by a Tunisian witness was shown, and the clip featured loud gunshots, shouting, and people running in panic.

Part of the clip - which captured bodies - was pixellated, and it featured the sounds of more gunfire towards the end.

Another clip, described as "very graphic" by Ms Leek, showed the gunman's body lying face down on a road with blood on the ground beside him after he was shot.

Advertisement

Man who stole charity collection boxes is jailed

Jordan Earwaker Credit: Cambs Police

A man who stole four charity collection boxes from shops and a pub in Cambridge has been jailed for a year.

Jordan Earwaker, 25, of Ross Street in Cambridge, was arrested on Wednesday (January 11) after being identified as the person who stole a charity donation box from the Empress Public House on Christmas Eve.

Cambridge magistrates heard he'd also stolen charity boxes from Maplins, Sainsbury's and the Co-op, as well as perfume from John Lewis and an electric toothbrush from Sainsbury's.

He was charged with five counts of theft from a shop, one count of receiving stolen goods and one count of theft.

He appeared at Cambridge Magistrates' Court on Thursday (January 12) and pleaded guilty to all charges.

He was sentenced on the same day to a total of 52 weeks in prison.

Man who raped drunk woman is sentenced to eight years

Sean Chikanda Credit: Norfolk Police

A 29-year-old man has been jailed for eight years after he was found guilty of raping a woman in Norwich.

Sean Chikanda, of Cromer Road, Norwich, denied the offence but was found guilty at Norwich Crown Court on 9 December 2016.

The court heard the victim had been on a night out with friends when she became separated from them in the early hours of 5 October 2014.

She was heavily intoxicated, and when approached by Chikanda on Prince of Wales Road she got a taxi with him back to his home address where she was raped.

Subsequent examination of CCTV footage showed the victim staggering and barely able to walk.

Chikanda was today (Monday 16 January) sentenced to eight years’ imprisonment and placed on the Sex Offenders Register for life.

During sentencing, the victim impact statement was read out in court, detailing how the woman was still struggling to come to terms with what happened to her.

In the statement, the victim describes feeling "panicked” in social environments and still suffers from flashbacks and nightmares.

She added: "I feel I cannot put into words the impact that this has had on me...I’ve changed the way I go about things. I no longer drink…run in the dark…or dress up.”

In this case Chikanda took advantage of the woman’s vulnerability and her inability to consent. If someone is too drunk to consent then the answer is no. "I hope this case demonstrates that situations which are alcohol-fuelled should not be taken advantage of as the consequences can be very serious for all involved.”

– Acting Inspector Richard Dickinson

Helen Bailey murder trial hears partner asked about selling her property

Murdered author Helen Bailey. Her partner Ian Stewart is on trial accused of killing her

A court has heard how the partner of Helen Bailey asked whether a property in her ownership could be sold in her absence after she went missing.

Solicitor Timothy Penn told St Albans Crown Court that Ian Stewart claimed he had power of attorney and wanted to know if it was sufficient to enable the sale of a flat in Gateshead to be sold for £185,000.

Mr Penn told the court he'd confirmed to Ian Stewart that he wouldn't proceed with the transaction until he heard from Helen Bailey.

The trial is continuing

Advertisement

  1. National

Tunisian security 'delayed their arrival' at attack hotel

Local investigators criticised police for a slow response to the killing in front of the five-star Riu Imperial Marhaba Hotel. Credit: PA

Tunisian police "deliberately and unjustifiably" delayed their arrival to the scene of the Sousse terrorist attack in which 30 Britons were killed, the inquest into the June 2015 massacre has heard.

Samantha Leek QC, counsel to the inquest, said a report by Tunisian Judge Akremi had identified failings by local units that could have ended the slaughter earlier.

Police arrived and shot extremist Seifeddine Rezgui Yacoubi dead after he had claimed the lives of 38 tourists on the beach outside the five-star Riu Imperial Marhaba Hotel.

The hearing packed with relatives of the victims at the Royal Courts of Justice in London heard an unnamed interior minister had told the judge some Tunisian security officers stalled on purpose.

He said the units that should have intervened in the events deliberately and unjustifiably slowed down to delay their arrival at the hotel.

They had the ability to put an end to the attack before the police arrived but wasted a considerable amount of time in getting to the hotel.

– Samantha Leek QC, counsel to the inquest
  1. National

Relatives arrive for 'answers' over Tunisia beach massacre

The grieving family of attack victims Janet and John Stocker have said they are 'looking for answers' at the inquest. Credit: PA

The families of 30 British tourists killed in 2015's terrorist attack on a beach in Tunisia have arrived at London's Royal Courts of Justice for the inquest into their deaths.

The inquest will attempt to determine how much the UK government and travel firms knew about the risk of an attack on tourists holidaying in the area.

Some 38 people were killed when Islamist gunman Seifeddine Rezgui opened fire in the popular resort of Port El Kantaoui, Sousse, in June 2015.

The terrorist attack in Sousse remains the deadliest on British citizens since the July 7 London bombings in 2005. Credit: PA
Load more updates Back to top