Chelmsford has beaten off competition from 19 other English towns to be granted city status to mark the Queen's Diamond Jubilee. It will be the first city in Essex. The county town of Essex has a long history.
- The Chelmsford population is 157,500
- The birthplace of radio after Marconi opened the world's first wireless factory in the town in 1899
- Chelmsford has been the county town of Essex since 1215
- Chelmsford was made a market town in 1199
- It has the second smallest cathedral in England
- Home to Essex county cricket
- Headquarters to Essex County Council and the county police force
- Every August thousands of festival-goers descend on Hylands Park for the V Festival
Simon Burns has been the Chelmsford MP since 1987. He says he’s delighted that the town has been honoured, and that it’s a particularly proud moment for the community.