The Queen's love of horses in well known and in 1984 she attended the 100th annual stallion sale at Tattersalls in Newmarket, Suffolk. She watched with a keen eye as the horses were led around the ring. Her Majesty presented the King George V Champion Challenge Cup to the owner of Barley Hill. Catering students from Isle of Ely College were on hand to prepare and serve luncheon.
The Queen will start the four-day Diamond Jubilee celebrations with a day at the races attended one of her favourite events - the Epsom Derby.
28 years ago saw Torvill and Dean win the Ice Dancing gold medal at the Winter Olympics in Sarajevo, a bitter year-long miners' strike started and the comedian Tommy Cooper died.
Other events in 1984:
- The Queen opened the Thames Barrier designed to protect London from flooding
- The FTSE 100-share Index was created
- British Telecom is privatised
- The government announces the end of the 'O' Level exam to be replaced by the GCSE
- Prince Harry was born in September
- The English £1 note is withdrawn from circulation after 150 years