A boat that was used in the Dunkirk evacuations during World War Two is being restored in North Norfolk thanks to a large heritage grant. The Lucy Lavers also served as a lifeboat along our coastline for nearly 30 years.
Built in 1940 as the Aldeburgh lifeboat in Suffolk her first service was as part of the Little Boat flotilla that rescued more than 300,000 troops from the beaches of Dunkirk.
She then served at Aldeburgh and Wells next the sea as a long serving lifeboat. Thanks to a grant of £100,000 from the Heritage Lottery Fund, Rescue Wooden Boats is hoping to restore the Lucy Lavers in time for the 75th anniversary of Dunkirk in 2015.