Men's bodies found at beauty spot

Aerial view of Bawsey Pits
Aerial view of Bawsey Pits Photo: Mike Page

The dangers of cooling off in the heatwave have been highlighted again after the bodies of two men were recovered from water at a popular beauty spot in west Norfolk.

Emergency services were alerted to reports that a man had got into difficulties while in the water at Bawsey Pits, a disused quarry, on Tuesday. Once there, they were told another man was missing.

After a search involving firefighters, paramedics, police and RAF search and rescue, officers confirmed the discovery of the men, who have not been identified.

"Both bodies were discovered within the water and inquiries continue into the circumstances surrounding their deaths."

– Norfolk Police spokesman

Police have asked people to stay away from the area. Swimming is banned at the beauty spot, which is popular with sunseekers, but many ignore warning signs.

The dangers of drowning increase in the warm summer months as people try to cool themselves and there have been several tragic incidents in recent weeks.

Emergency services reiterated a warning of the dangers of swimming in open water this week after the body of a man was pulled from the waters of a quarry last Friday in the same place where a teenager died the previous weekend.

Justas Juzenas, 22, drowned at Gullet Quarry, a stretch of water near Malvern, Worcestershire, where 17-year-old Russell O'Neill died on Saturday July 6.

Last Wednesday the body of 14-year-old Hollie McClymont was recovered from the sea near Barry Island in Wales.

The teenager, who was on a family holiday, had been seen three days earlier getting into difficulty while swimming off Whitmore Bay.

Authorities in Northern Ireland last month announced the launch of a new campaign to highlight the dangers of disused quarries after a man drowned in a vain bid to rescue a teenage boy in Co Down.

Colin Polland was trying to save to save 15-year-old Kevin O'Hare, who had got into difficulties when swimming in an isolated quarry near Annalong, but both died.

"The firm was deeply saddened to learn of yesterday's tragic events.

"Safety is our prime concern and signs are in place to warn against swimming and diving.

"We will work with the police and other investigating authorities to help establish exactly what took place.

"Until that process has run its course, we can only say further that our thoughts go out to all who have been touched by these deaths."

– Spokesman for Sibelco, which runs the disused Norfolk quarry

Norfolk Police Assistant Chief Constable Nick Dean said: "The tragic discoveries of the bodies of these two people came after an extensive search of Bawsey Pits by the emergency services and volunteers.

"On behalf of everyone involved, I would like to offer my condolences to the families of the males who have sadly lost their lives."