Striking firefighters in Norwich left the picket lines last night to attend an incident at the Great Hospital on the city's Bishopgate.
The call out was a result of the fire alarms being triggered by smoke from an overheated frying pan.
Because there was potential serious risk to life, under a local agreement with the Fire Brigades Union, striking firefighters from Sprowston and Carrow voluntarily turned out. Parts of the building were smoke-logged and ten residents had been evacuated to a communal area. Councillor Dan Roper, Cabinet Member for Public Protection, said:
– Councillor Dan Roper, Norfolk County Council
“I am glad that when there was potentially serious risk to life striking firefighters volunteered to turn out to the incident. This is the result of local agreement with the Fire Brigades Union and I am sure that this responsible approach will be appreciated by Norfolk people.”