Norfolk Police have had to make a number of road closures around the scene of last night's helicopter crash at Gillingham near Beccles on the Norfolk and Suffolk border.
The following closures are in place.
- A146 is closed at Gillingham roundabout (McDonalds)
- A146 Norwich Road is closed where it meets the junction with the A143 (Stockton roundabout)
- The junction of Rectory Road, Raveningham Road and Dog Lane is closed
- The A146 junction with Rectory Road is also closed, as is the Dog Lane junction with the A143
- The A143 junction with Hollow Way Hill is closed
- Diversions are in place from the Stockton roundabout, north on he A146 to Trowse, east on the A47 to Great Yarmouth, south on the A12 to Lowestoft, A1117 to Oulton Broad, A146 to Beccles where the diversion ends at the Morrisons roundabout
– Chief Inspector Stuart Armes, Norfolk Police
At this time we do not know when the aircraft will be recovered and it is important that people stay away from the area. The cordon is in place to allow our experts to carry out our processes safely. We appreciate the difficulty that the road closures will create and we apologise to the people that have been affected. There are two reasons why we have taken this decision, the first is to allow investigators to assess whether there is any debris on the highway and the second is the close proximity of these roads to the crash site.