The first stately home to be offered to the war office was at Wrest Park in Silsoe in Bedfordshire
The owner, Lord Lucas was fighting. It was his sister Nan oversaw the entire operation and often the operations themselves.
The lady of the house became matron of the wards.
After World War Two Wrest Park was the home to the National Institute of Agricultural Engineering, from 1947 to 2006.