Advertisement

  1. ITV Report

Toddler survives rare flesh-eating infection after bout of chicken pox

Charlie's parents Alan and Becky Cave were told to prepare for the worst.

To say Charlie Cave is a lucky boy is an understatement. The 19-month-old toddler from Kempston in Bedfordshire almost died after developing a rare flesh eating infection following a bout of chicken pox.

He was just 13-months-old when medics at Great Ormond Street said it was unlikely he would survive. His parents Alan and Becky Cave say he’s quite literally one in a million.

Charlie Cave was just 13-months-old when he was taken to Great Ormond Street hospital for emergency surgery.

Wednesday morning he just woke up with this awful swelling round his neck, so we called 111 that morning and they told us to take him straight down the the GP surgery and literally we were there for about three or four minutes and they told us to go straight down the hospital.

– Alan Cave, Charlie's father
Alan and Becky Cave with Charlie.

Charlie had Strep A an infection that rapidly spreads across the body and kills tissue.

Charlie in hospital at Great Ormond Street hospital.

With a temperature of over 42 degrees and a heart rate of 227 Alan and Becky were told to prepare for the worst.

We were told because of all the swelling round his neck it was turning black and becoming worse and worse you could actually see it spreading you could physically see it move.

– Alan and Becky Cave
Necrotising fasciitis can start from a relatively minor injury, such as a small cut.

A one hour operation, two weeks in intensive care, kidney failure and a collapsed lung and somehow this miracle boy pulled through.

Necrotising fasciitis is a rare but serious bacterial infection that affects the tissue beneath the skin, and surrounding muscles and organs.

One in a million really and the doctors had said how poorly he was even in Great Ormond street he was kind of one in a million to pull through in terms of how very very sick he was.

– Becky Cave

The Cave’s now want to raise awareness about the condition.