A world-class percussionist, several university professors, a Paralympic cyclist and a glaciologist from Cambridgeshire have been rewarded in the New Year honours.
Dame Evelyn Glennie is the world’s premiere solo percussionist and has been made a Companion of Honour.
Profoundly deaf since the age of 12, her performances receive repeated acclaim from the public, colleagues and critics alike.
Her media credits include several award-winning films and she has lobbied hard for funding for music education.
The former Mistress of Girton College, Cambridge Baroness Warnock has also been made a Companion of Honour.
She has had a long and distinguished academic career as an educationalist, philosopher and ethicist.
She chaired the Warnock Committee, an enquiry to look at the educational needs of children with learning difficulties and disabilities, which led to the 1981 Education Act and laid the foundations for the introduction of Statements of Special Educational Needs.
Knighthood and Damehoods
- Professor Shankar Balasubramanian Herchel Smith Professor of Medicinal Chemistry, University of Cambridge. For services to Science and Medicine. (Cambridgeshire)
- Professor Ottoline Leyser CBE FRS Director, The Sainsbury Laboratory, University of Cambridge. For services to Plant Science, Science in Society and Equality and Diversity in Science. (Cambridgeshire)
- Professor Stephen Charles Inglis Lately Director, National Institute for Biological Standards and Control, Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency. For services to Health Protection. (Cambridgeshire)
- Professor John Pyle Professor of Chemistry and 1920 Chair for Physical Chemistry, Cambridge University. For services to Atmospheric Chemistry and Environmental Science. (Dry Drayton, Cambridgeshire)
- Professor John Spencer QC Professor Emeritus of Law, University of Cambridge. For services to the Reform of Law Concerning Child Witnesses. (Cambridgeshire)
- Professor Peter Weissberg Lately Medical Director, British Heart Foundation. For services to Medical Research and Cardiovascular Health. (Thriplow, Cambridgeshire)
- Donna Cornwell Associate Headteacher, Swaffham Bulbeck CofE Primary School, Cambridge. For services to Education. (Ely, Cambridgeshire)
- Brian Gale Director of Policy and Campaigns, National Deaf Children’s Society. For services to Special Educational Needs. (Cambridgeshire)
- Richard Guy For services to Justice, Mental Health Support and the community in Cambridgeshire. (Downham Market, Norfolk)
- Julia Nix District Manager, Work Services Directorate, Department for Work and Pensions. For services to Tackling Youth Unemployment in East Anglia. (Ely, Cambridgeshire)
- Professor David Vaughan Glaciologist, British Antarctic Survey. For services to Glaciology. (Cambridgeshire)
- Dr Christoph Wiesner Chief Executive, The Welding Institute. For services to Engineering and Innovation. (Cambridgeshire)
- Dr Lorna Williamson Lately Director, NHS Blood and Transplant. For services to the Advancement of Blood, Tissue and Stem Cell Donations. (Harston, Cambridgeshire)
- Timothy Burgess Chief Executive Officer, Foundation of Edward Storey. For voluntary services in Cambridgeshire. (Cambridgeshire)
- Wendy Duchesne Grade 7, Capabilities and Resources, Home Office. For services to Developing ChildFriendly Immigration Systems. (Holme, Cambridgeshire)
- Sylvia Morris Founder and Chair, Karen Morris Memorial Trust, Cambridgeshire. For services to Leukaemia Patients and their Families. (Stapleford, Cambridgeshire)
- Peter Reeve Councillor, Huntingdonshire District Council. For services to Local Government and the community in Ramsey, Cambridgeshire. (Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire)
- Louis Rolfe For services to Cycling. (Cambridgeshire)
Sylvia Morris from Stapleford near Cambridge was awarded an MBE for services to leukaemia patients and their families after raising £2.5 million in memory of her daughter Karen
- Jane Coston For services to the community in Milton, Cambridgeshire. (Cambridgeshire)
- Mohammed Farooq For services to Fundraising and Providing Meals to Disadvantaged Children in Peterborough. (Peterborough, Cambridgeshire)
- Brian Gascoyne For services to Community Cohesion in Peterborough, Cambridgeshire. (Peterborough, Cambridgeshire)
- Geoffrey Heathcock JP For services to the Royal National Lifeboat Institution and the community in Cambridgeshire. (Cambridgeshire)
- Denise Speakman Treasurer, Ethos Home Office Sports and Social Association, Home Office. For public service. (Peterborough, Cambridgeshire)