A plan has been submitted to build 6,500 new homes on an old airfield five miles north of Cambridge.
The Ministry of Defence alongside property company, Urban and Civic have submitted the proposals to redevelop the old RAF site including barracks and air strip at Waterbeach.
Among other things they are also hoping to build schools, a library and a museum.
The outline planning application at Waterbeach is for:
- Up to 6,500 homes, including up to 600 units of care home use
- Three primary schools and a secondary school
- Up to 9,000m2 of community facilities, including: community centres, health care, nurseries, library use, places of worship and a museum
- Sports and fitness centres
- Up to 16,500m2 of retail
- Up to 15,000 m2 of offices and light industrial units
- A hotel
- Two new access points onto the A10, and the application also provides for a new park and ride facility