Advertisement

  1. ITV Report

Family of blind RAF veteran who died after Boots prescription error urge people to check labels

Mr Lamond had been receiving many different medications for complaints including type 2 diabetes, heart problems and glaucoma. Credit: Family picture

The family of a "thoughtful, endearing" veteran who died after he was prescribed the wrong tablets, have urged people to check the labels on their medication.

Douglas Lamond died after under-pressure staff at a busy Boots pharmacy in Felixstowe supplied him with another patient's prescription.

The 86-year-old who was registered blind, received his weekly medicines in pill boxes assembled at his pharmacy with tablets separated into different plastic compartments to take on different days.

Douglas Lamond, 86, received weekly medicine boxes from Boots in Felixstowe Credit: ITV News Anglia

But on May 10, 2012, Mr Lamond was wrongly dispensed the anti-diabetic drug Gliclazide - used to lower blood sugar levels - and did not receive his usual prescription of Bisoprolol - a beta-blocker - due to an error.

An heard it was this "very significant accidental dispensing error which resulted in him receiving another patient's medication".

Mr Lamond's family now hope the same thing doesn't happen to anyone else.

My father Douglas Lamond was a kind, thoughtful endearing man, a real gentleman who despite his poor vision never complained and remained resolute in his determination to remain in his own home, in the company of his two dogs, with occasional support where needed.

In later life he had needed a number of medications and he trusted his Boots pharmacy to send out HIS tablets according to HIS prescription, and that the prescription would be current. Given his severe visual impairment and limited mobility this was not unreasonable. He certainly never expected such carelessness and breach of duty of care from Boots.

We would urge any person in receipt of medications to check labels and prescriptions for accuracy because errors happen and the outcome can be both painful and devastating. We would not wish any other family to go through such a devastating experience.

I am grateful that Boots have finally acknowledged the seriousness of the mistakes that have been made.

– Family of Douglas Lamond