Advertisement

  1. ITV Report

Lucky escape for worker after flare explodes in his hands

The flare exploded in the hands of an Amey employee Credit: Amey

A man working at a recycling plant near Cambridge had a lucky escape after a marine flare that had been binned went off in his hands.

The employee was sorting through rubbish at waste company Amey's Waterbeach facility.

It'd been put in aluminium recycling by someone they collect from.

Amey is urging Cambridgeshire and Peterborough residents to ‘think safe’ Credit: Amey

The man was uninjured thanks to his protective clothing but it's led the company to urge people to be safe when throwing out rubbish.

Amey’s Chris Smiles said: “Now, with Christmas almost upon us, we’re urging residents to ‘think safe’ and consider whether an item could be a risk before throwing it away.

“For example, many presents will come with batteries but throwing items such as batteries (particularly lithium batteries found in mobile phones) in with general rubbish can cause a fire."

“No fire risk item should be placed in your normal or recycling bin – whether that’s a flare, fireworks, shotgun cartridges, gas cylinders or batteries. If you’re not sure how to dispose of an item check your local authority’s website for expert advice.”