Advertisement

  1. ITV Report

Stroke survivor Lily, 9, on mission to raise awareness

A nine-year-old stroke survivor from Lowestoft is on a mission to make more people realise that the condition can affect children.

Nine-year-old Lily Dewbery was just four when she lost all movement on her left side.

But after years of treatment she is now preparing to take part in a 5K run for the Stroke Association.

"You automatically associate it with old people. I didn't know that young children could have a stroke and it's certainly not the first thing we thought of when she was poorly."

– Amanda Dewbery, Lily's mum
Lily and mum Amanda in training for her 5K. Credit: ITV News Anglia

With strokes mainly considered a condition which affects the elderly, the Dewbery family say there is a lack of support for children and parents using the health service.

It's thought that 400 children and babies suffer strokes each year.

In adults, 85% of strokes are caused by a blockage to the brain's blood supply. The remaining 15% are due to a burst blood vessel.

Sorry, this content isn't available on your device.