Plans on reforming local government across Northamptonshire will be revealed today with more details on how its councils will be re-structured in the wake of the County Council's financial crisis.
The Government has demanded a fresh start for Northamptonshire and invited all eight councils to submit proposals for re-structuring.
The Government has said the council must be split up.
All eight authorities in Northamptonshire have been asked by the Secretary of State for Housing, Communities and Local Government to submit a proposal that meets the following criteria:
- A single county-wide unitary is excluded as an option
- Each new proposed authority must have a population in excess of £300,000
- The proposal must be based on existing council boundaries
- Only one proposal will be accepted, not a range of options
- It must demonstrate savings
- Have local support
- And extensive consultation must be carried out