Hospital death inquest

An inquest into the death of a man, who suffered a fatal haemorrhage while waiting to undergo an operation at Northampton General Hospital, is drawing to a close.

Live updates

Family "failed" by hospital

An inquest has heard how a family was failed by some members of staff at Northampton General Hospital after they left a 63-year-old man waiting in pain for five hours and then failed to diagnose a ruptured heart artery.

The hospital has acknowledged its failings, but said steps had been taken to improve its A & E response.

Click below to watch a report from ITV News Anglia's Russell Hookey

Hospital expresses condolences to family

Northampton General Hospital have spoken of their sorrow after the Northamptonshire Senior Coroner criticised the trust for its treatment of a man who died while waiting for an operation.

Mike Martin suffered a fatal haemorrhage as he waited to undergo surgery.

"We express our sincere condolences to Mrs Martin and her family and are deeply sorry for their loss. We acknowledge there was a failure to provide Mr Martin with the pain relief he needed and to assess him more promptly.

Following Mr Martin's death the Trust undertook a detailed internal investigation as well as seeking additional advice from an independent expert. We also met with Mrs Martin and her family to share the findings."

– Spokesperson, Northampton General Hospital

Advertisement

Coroner slams Northampton hospital

The Northamptonshire Senior Coroner has criticised Northampton General Hospital for its treatment of a man who died while waiting for an operation.

63-year-old Mike Martin's family say he arrived at Accident and Emergency in agony but didn't see a doctor for five and a half hours.

At the inquest into his death, Coroner Anne Pember called the delay "unacceptable" and said the lost opportunity to treat Mr Martin could have increased his chance of survival.

"Due to unacceptable delays before he was seen by a Doctor and a subsequent delay in obtaining a bariatric operating table there was a failure to treat him.

This represented a lost opportunity to treat him which could have increased his chance of survival."

– Anne Pember, Northamptonshire Senior Coroner

Hospital inquest drawing to a close

The inquest into the death of Mike Martin is drawing to a close.

An inquest into the death of a man, who suffered a fatal haemorrhage while waiting to undergo an operation at Northampton General Hospital, is drawing to a close.

The inquest, which started on Tuesday, has previously heard how 63-year-old Mike Martin arrived at A and E in agony, but didn't see a doctor for five and a half hours.

His wife believes the delay was responsible for his death.

Back to top